We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best days to experience Carnaval de Cadiz 2019?

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
45 posts
24 reviews
Best days to experience Carnaval de Cadiz 2019?

Greetings. We’re planning to spend two or three days in Cadiz during its Carnaval in March 2019.

Would it be best to visit toward the beginning of the town’s weeklong festivities (to see La Cabalgata, etc.), or toward the end of the week?

Thanks

6 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
24,035 posts
292 reviews
1. Re: Best days to experience Carnaval de Cadiz 2019?

Whatever suits your program for rest of the trip. If you like grand parades with razzmattaz and plenty of original floats then Sunday opening is a must. But frankly you could enjoy any day of the week if the sun is shining and the air of anticipation is prevalent.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
45 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Best days to experience Carnaval de Cadiz 2019?

Thanks, Cadiz_lover

Buckhurst Hill...
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Best days to experience Carnaval de Cadiz 2019?

What date in Sunday please?

1 post
4. Re: Best days to experience Carnaval de Cadiz 2019?

Hi, Belinda. Carnival Sunday is March 3, 2019. You can go on Sunday and the following week, on that date the carnival is on the street and you have a lot of fun. If you need more information about dates, calendar, etc, I recommend the official guide: https://carnavaldecadiztv.com, I go every year and I inform myself there.

Greetings and have fun :)

Buckhurst Hill...
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Best days to experience Carnaval de Cadiz 2019?

Thanks for that but a challenge for those of us who do not speak Spanish.

New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
6. Re: Best days to experience Carnaval de Cadiz 2019?

I will be there with others,

We should meet up.

Best night to me is the 1st Saturday night & Sunday.

If you want to know more let me know.

I have been there a lot of times & will be going again this year 2019

The Carnival of Cádiz will take place from February 28 to March 10, 2019. Although its duration is much longer, since a large part of the carnival takes place around carnival groups that begin weeks before. It is a celebration that has been declared a Festival of International Tourist Interest .

The festivities program includes horseback riding, tablaos, concerts, gastronomic events and the fireworks show. Many acts have been prepared that fill the beautiful city of Cádiz with color, hubbub and lots of parties. The first weekend is the most important with Saturday night, choir Sunday, Sunday cavalcade and choir Monday . During the week there are group competitions for different tablaos of the city. The second weekend is a little more " light ".

• February 28, 2019 (Thursday): The tradition of turning on the lighting marks the official beginning of the Cadiz Carnival . It is a magical moment in which the whole city is suddenly illuminated with colored lights.

• March 3, 2019 (Sunday): At mid-morning the Choir Carousel takes place, where numerous choirs on rafts (floats) offer their repertoires to the public, around the Central Market. It is also the day of the Great Cavalcade , which at around 5:30 p.m. runs through the main arteries of the city of Cadiz, with impressive floats. In addition, the winning groups of the COAC 2019 participate , but only parading.

• March 5, 2019 (Tuesday): It is the day of the Burning God Momo , who is the personification of satire and irony. At around 8:00 pm, the procession of the Great Momo begins, followed by the burning and proclamation.

• March 6, 2019 (Wednesday): From this day the street chirigotas act in the different stages installed throughout the city, especially in the neighborhood of La Viña . These chirigotas will take the streets of Cadiz until the last day of holidays (Sunday).

• March 10, 2019 (Sunday): The last day there are several gastronomic celebrations . The traditional Popular Shrimp Tortillada in the Campo de la Aviacion square, the Gaditano Popular Frito in the Plaza de Candelaria and the Popular Panizá in the Plocia street. The festivities end at dusk with the Burn of the Witch Piti and the fireworks show

Meaning

It is thought that the origin of this celebration comes from a group of Genoese who came to Cádiz at the time of trade in the Mediterranean. They launched a carnival similar to those in Italy. The "chirigotas de Cádiz" date back to the end of the 15th century, when the first written documents were found.

Nowadays, the residents of Cádiz are looking forward to the arrival of the carnival because the city becomes a great festive scene. The Carnival of Cádiz is one of the most important in the world, bringing together hundreds of thousands of visitors during these dates. The Contest of Choirs , Comparsas , Chirigotas and Cuartetos have international fame.

Edited: 11 November 2018, 20:57
Reply to: Best days to experience Carnaval de Cadiz 2019?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cadiz
Recent Conversations