We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chipmonks

London, England...
Level Contributor
529 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Chipmonks

hi we are staying at the geronios suites calle fuste where is the best place to go and see the chipmonks on sea front here. Thanks

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chipmonks

If this is the Geronios Suites in Caleta walk along the prom in front of your hotel and walk down to the Salt Museum. Staying outside the grounds of the museum and just past the entrance you'll see a round stone structure. They'll come to you! Quite tame and they'll take food out of your hand. There are also some on a stony outcrop next to the prom nearer your hotel but not as many.

PS Hotel Rep called them Chipmunks but a guide book describes them as Barbary Squirrels

Edited: 21 November 2014, 09:11
Mentioned in this post
Salt Museum
Salt Museum
217 Reviews
Fuerteventura, Spain
Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
5,352 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chipmonks

I've seen them on the walk between Caleta and Costa Antigua, too. Plenty at the car park in the Costa Antigua trading estate, next to Alta Gracia kitchens. We always stop there for "an animal experience" and to watch the planes land when we go to Ikea. We have a stock of peanuts in their shells in the car boot as you never know where they'll be.

I just got up two pages of Google images and compared them:- can't see much difference myself. Different for the experts I suppose as I know they always say they're squirrels rather than chipmunks.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Fuerteventura, Spain
Caleta de Fuste...
Destination Expert
for Caleta de Fuste, Fuerteventura
Level Contributor
7,445 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chipmonks

They are Barbary Ground Squirrels (so not chipmunks) that came over to the Canaries from Africa. They are considered a pest like rats and mice, and can do a lot of damage.

Even so, they are cute and are a tourist attraction.

4. Re: Chipmonks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2015, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about Fuerteventura