We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regretting decision

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
17 reviews
Regretting decision

Booked La Tecina with Tui next March, reading horror stories about flights not liasing well with Ferries and 6 hour wait, even worse on return. . Anyone done this, ?where do we wait , anyway of occupying time. Should have booked independently, ( which I normally would) but stupidly took easy option for a change.

13 replies to this topic
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
126 reviews
1. Re: Regretting decision

When we stayed at Tecina we were collected quite early and had a hassle free journey to Tenerife. We were dropped off at a very nice hotel where we could stay or not (our choice). We chose to wander off for a few hours. Our luggage was kept there until the coach arrived to take us to the airport. Any meals at the hotel were payable by us. Some people who had travelled independently (and banged on every time you saw them about how much they had saved) had to get an early morning taxi and travelled on the same ferry as we did. (Their "savings" disappeared in the taxi fare!). I reckon you haven't taken a stupid option. Reality is your timings (if our experience is typical) would be broadly the same as travelling independent

Blackpool, England
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
141 reviews
2. Re: Regretting decision

I was one of those people who had the nightmare journey, expected me to “go straight to the airport” from Los Cristianos despite plane not due for another 9 hrs. After much argument they agreed to drop me at a TUI hotel in Los Cristianos for the day. Sounds from TonyinUK post that TUI have sorted this issue so you should be fine.

One the way out you will be given voucher for the ferry which you swap for a ticket at the port. When I went I waited about 1.5 hrs on the way out for the next ferry.

The Tecina hotel is really nice but to get the best from the wonderful scenery around Gomera you need to hire a car.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Regretting decision

Thanks !! reassured, really looking forward to it, and do intend getting a car. any tips for really good day walks? thought I could pick up some touristy walk stuff there rather than buying a map. we are not serious hike type walkers just something to justify another view-with-wine !!

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Regretting decision

I'm making my third visit this January and the long journey still hasn't put me off. It has the advantage of leaving many other tourists behind. The ferry service is reduced in January so I always have a long wait at the port before my ferry and a long drive at the other end. However the port is very close to a beach, restaurants and shops. If you are travelling from somewhere cold remember to reduce your clothing before you store your luggage. Put on some shorts and a tee-shirt and bring your sun cream (all things that I neglected on my first trip). Then I'd recommend accepting the wait and making the most of it by having an explore, good food and excellent coffee. I wouldn't drink too much until arrival at the hotel as there's still some way to go from this point. It is a pain going home but you'll already be miserable about leaving.

There's stacks of advice on walks if your check some of the other threads. There's a few local experts that have given great information.

Edited: 01 October 2018, 08:09
Blackpool, England
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
141 reviews
5. Re: Regretting decision

There is a tourist information centre in Puerto Santiago (10 minutes walk from your hotel). They have a good selection of maps and walking route leaflets.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Regretting decision

thank you that's great

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
126 reviews
7. Re: Regretting decision

Worslesr, I hadn't seen your review so hope your visit was before mine otherwise TUI will have gone backwards.

Buckle, I'd suggest contacting TUI a bit before you are due to go to get timings and ferry to airport plan. That way if it doesn't suit you can start badgering them from the comfort of home

Blackpool, England
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
141 reviews
8. Re: Regretting decision

My visit was September 2016. Issues were outlined in a forum post at the time rather than hotel review (hotel Jardin Tecina was lovely).

1 post
9. Re: Regretting decision

Don't know if this is the right place to ask but since you all have experience ...

i'm going to Gran Rey in two days, october 10

can anybody tell me if it's possible to buy boat tickets in the harbour of los Christianos or is it wise to order them by internet. I see no boat directly to Gran Rey at the moment (Armas will, but not on the 10th)

Thanks in advance

Blackpool, England
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
141 reviews
10. Re: Regretting decision

Yes you can buy tickets at the ferry port, very unlikely to be sold out (boats are huge). Fred Olsen have multiple sailings on the 10th (just checked on https://www.fredolsen.es/).

Reply to: Regretting decision
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about La Gomera