We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Barcelona to Lourdes, France

Drive from Barcelona to Lourdes, France

We would like to drive from Barcelona to Lourdes on 25march2019. Has anyone done this or have advice please

4 replies to this topic
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,935 posts
3,813 reviews
1. Re: Drive from Barcelona to Lourdes, France

If you do not bring the rental car back to Barcelona, the drop off fee can be very high.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Drive from Barcelona to Lourdes, France

I have never driven to Lourdes per se but I have driven in the area. No advice, really, though I'd mention it's a long drive. If in fact you do not intend to return to Barcelona then I would take the train to France, probably Perpignan, and rent there.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
62,279 posts
171 reviews
3. Re: Drive from Barcelona to Lourdes, France

If you pick up a car in Barcelona, you don't necessarily have to return there. You can return elsewhere in Spain. Some rental companies like Europcar (and I think Hertz) don't assess a one-way fee as long as you drop off within the same country. in the last year or two, I have used Europcar within Spain, France, Italy and Germany with different drop-off points. No extra charges were added.

But if you pick up in Spain and drop off in France, you could pay a few hundred Euros extra.

Palafrugell, Spain
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Drive from Barcelona to Lourdes, France

Also haven't driven it, but know some of the areas. I think you have two options - the autoroute via the Narbonne-Toulouse axis (A61-A64), or through the mountains via Vielha. Both are a long way - Google gives a minimum of 5h30 one way. The autoroute will be longer, but is pretty comfortable and easy driving and getting around Toulouse isn't too bad. Carcassone is an obvious point of interest about half way.

On the other hand, driving through the mountains will be slower because there are no dual-carriageways or faster roads and you'll pass through towns and villages, and have windier roads which makes for more tiring driving. However, it will be more scenic. I think you should be OK for snow if you're just driving through, but keep an eye on the weather forecasts as March is still the winter season. For this type of journey, I'd add a couple of hours for a stop somewhere mid-way which would give you about a 7-8 hour day of travelling.

Reply to: Drive from Barcelona to Lourdes, France
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted