We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marbella or Mallorca

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Marbella or Mallorca

Definitely going to Barcelona...what should be the second city?

And how do I get from one to the other? Suggest flying into and out of Barcelona and visiting another in-between or starting in one spot...going to the next...leaving from there?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marbella or Mallorca

<< Definitely going to Barcelona...what should be the second city? >>

In that case, Marbella is in the opposite side of Spain. And in *any* case, Marbella is not a place I would bother to go on purpose, unless I was already at the area, or visiting friends as I did... but different people have different tastes.

IMO Mallorca is a lot more interesting than Marbella, but again, what is 'interesting' to me may not interest you at all.

There are more options, depending how many days you have to play with, your tastes and what you expect from your holiday.

Help us to help you!

Edited: 10 March 2011, 16:22
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Marbella or Mallorca

Can you tell me where you would stay in Mallorca.

Also is it easy to get between Mallorca and Barcelona?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marbella or Mallorca

*Me* would probably stay in Mallorca in a country house up to the mountains, so I could get some good hikes in the Serra de Tramuntana.... Not the usual destination for Mallorca's visitors but I usually don't travel to beach destinations ;-)

Sorry I can't help about accommodation, when I have been to Mallorca I was either staying with friends or as business daytrips.

Getting between Mallorca and Barcelona is as easy as taking a plane or a ferry.

However, as I said above, it will help to know what you expect from your holidays and how many days, to help you better.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,610 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Marbella or Mallorca

For maximum response you should post your query in the Mallorca and Marbella forums.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,627 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marbella or Mallorca

nsiegel:

Marbella is the most upscale resort in Spain. To go there, you could fly Vueling from Barcelona to Malaga, and take the bus from the airport to Marbella.

I go on vacation to Marbella every year, even if I live in nearby Malaga. I love the atmosphere there, quiet, with no rowdy people. Everyone there seems to be educated and people treat you well. My favorite hotel there is the Gran Hotel Guadalpin, which has a very sophisticated design. Wonderful breakfast buffet.

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marbella or Mallorca

Sorry if this message is too late, but we loved Mallorca. The Costa del Sol is nice for a weekend getaway, but Mallorca has a lot of beauty and diversity that we couldn't get enough of. Beaches, mountains, big city (Palma), and cute villages (Valldemossa). Everything is within 30-60 minutes of Palma. It's easy to find inexpensive resort lodging in Mallorca too.

You can find cheap flights within Europe on www.skyscanner.com. Its a fun website, play around with their map search. Round trip flights with Vueling from Barcelona are under $100 (50 minutes!). I've flown with Vueling, and they are great. Not a big fan of Ryanair.

If you are going to be spending some time in southern Spain (Andalucia: Seville, Granada, etc.) then a side trip to Marbella is not a bad idea. Marbella is a little pricey, but you can find bargains if you shop around. Also, Marbella is located not too far from the pretty white villages of Ronda and Arcos.

Hope this helps!

7. Re: Marbella or Mallorca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 13:17