We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night train Barcelona to Madrid

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
Night train Barcelona to Madrid

Hi there

Just wondering if anyone has taken the overnight train to Madrid and the 1st class seat? Would be interested to know what its like.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,503 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night train Barcelona to Madrid

Hola KR!

I haven't taken the night train but I'm linking a website with pictures of the Estrella 373. From Renfe, I see that this model is run between Barcelona and Madrid. If you click on the camera icon, you can see pictures of the seats etc.

www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php…

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night train Barcelona to Madrid

I have no idea of your experience, but consider your ability to function as you would wish after 9 hours on this train, in whatever comfort, and what you will do in Madrid at 0730.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
18,437 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night train Barcelona to Madrid

Is this to save a nigyt in a hotel? I can't think of any other reason to choose this over a journey of around 3 hours on the AVE high-speed train. And WomBatt's question still apllies!

.You can certainly get into Madrid around the time offices open with an early AVE.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,503 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night train Barcelona to Madrid

KR,

We are all wondering about your reason for choosing this mode of transport. If it's to save money, I just checked on Renfe for someone else and if you can get the Web discount (offered up to 62 days in advance) for the AVE (mentioned by Lynda), it is about the same price as the full fare for the night train.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night train Barcelona to Madrid

Thanks for the replies.

The night train was about £50 and the 3 hour day train £100.

So its to save money as £100 one way for 3 hours is expensive!

There isn't enough time to book 62 days in advance unfortunately.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
5,766 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night train Barcelona to Madrid

then bus is cheaper but obviusly should be less comfortable than train.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,503 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Night train Barcelona to Madrid

KR,

Renfe is a nightmare in a teacup. I hope you are looking at the right website becuz for the SAME dates, one page gives no discounts and the other, does. Did you see the prices on the venta.renfe.com page?

Hola Slatkin!

When KR first posted, I thought of you and your bus ride to Madrid. :-) What was it again? Three showings of Lethal Weapon4?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
18,437 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Night train Barcelona to Madrid

We booked renfe tickets last night for the weekend of 22nd/23rd October at 83€ ech way, that's only 30 days off.

Webfares start 62 days before but as you see you can get tickets well under 100pounds nearer the date than that. Not sure when you are travelling but there were seats on some trains at 59€ and 69€ and LOTS of choice of trains in "turista" at 83€..

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Night train Barcelona to Madrid

Ok thanks for all the info, very helpful!

10. Re: Night train Barcelona to Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 07:17