We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kosher eating in barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Herzliya, Israel
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
kosher eating in barcelona

my family -- husband and 2 teenage boys -- are going to barcelona for 5 days next week (sunday through thursaday 19-23rd august).

i'm worried about what we will be able to eat, since my family keeps kosher -- this means no mixing meat with cheese/dairy products; no shellfish (shrimps, crab, etc.); and no pork.

and just to make things even "easier" for us, my husband also does not eat fish!!

can anyone recommend some good vegetarian restaurants or other places where they have good food other than shellfish and pork? thanks in advance.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
2,816 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kosher eating in barcelona

Hi.

We just got back from Barcelona. We don't keep kosher, but I'm familiar with the rules, so let's see if I can help.

Will you eat chicken or beef that isn't kosher? If you will, you won't have any problem at all, as there are plenty of chicken and beef dishes that don't have milk in (just ask).

For you and your boys, fish will be a great option, available everywhere and very good.

If your husband won't eat meat either, then he will be a bit limited. The best option my often be pasta with a vegetarian sauce, which will not be hard to find. We went to a great fondu restaurant in the Born neighborhood - they have meat and cheese fondus, so you can take the cheese ones and have a real experience. You can all also enjoy pizzas - most of them don't have meat or shellfish, so just check.

You can also go into a supermarket and get wonderful bread, vegetables and cheese for less than you'd pay in Israel.

Hope this helps. If you want further ideas or specific restaurant names, let me know - but it really isn't necessary, there are hundreds of restaurants and you won't have a problem having some great meals.

Herzliya, Israel
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kosher eating in barcelona

thanks for the advice :-)

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kosher eating in barcelona

maybe you can take a look to http://www.deliciaskosher.com

not very close to city center but with a metro stop nearby.

enjoy!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,101 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kosher eating in barcelona

Sesamo is a popular vegetarian restaurant. Have a look too at the website, www.sincarne.net

Edited: 09 August 2012, 10:19
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kosher eating in barcelona

We were eating at a restuarant on the Paseig de gracia and I was trying to figure out if the sauce on the tuna contained any shellfish. The server offered me vegetarian paella, which was excellent. I have a friend who just got back from Barcelona who told me she ate in a Glatt kosher restuarant. In summary, there were more vegetarian options than I thought there would be (although I do eat fish).

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,493 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kosher eating in barcelona

i think that there are a new stand at la boqueria where they sell take away kosher food. if i am not wrong it was one of the stands facing plaça de sant galdric.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,309 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kosher eating in barcelona

I've eaten a couple of times at Delicias kosher restaurant and the food was great. It's near Muntaner FGC station (NOT metro), the line that goes from Plaça Catalunya (bottom corner by Cafe Zurich) and Provença. Any train except those going to AV Tibidabo stops at Muntaner.

You can also get there with 14, 58 and 64 buses from the centre.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kosher eating in barcelona

Menu

www.deliciaskosher.com/menu-kosher#carnes

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kosher eating in barcelona

There are lots of vegetarian places in Barcelona all areas and all price ranges. www.happycow.net/europe/spain/barcelona/ is a good resource. Hope that helps.

Herzliya, Israel
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kosher eating in barcelona

thanks so much everyone :-)