We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girona to Barcelona and Tossa de Mar without a car?

Cambridge, United...
2 posts
Girona to Barcelona and Tossa de Mar without a car?

Hi there,

I'll be travelling solo for the first time this summer, to Girona where I'll be staying for a week, and I want to do a day trip to Barcelona and to Tossa de Mar but I won't have a car.

I've got a few questions and would be grateful for some advice:

1. Should I go to Barcelona by train (I had a look at trainline and there's a return ticket for about 30 euro)? Or should I take a bus/coach, if so which line?

2. Is there any way of getting to Tossa de Mar from Girona or Girona Airport? All the info I've found so far seems like the last bus back from Tossa is at 3pm which is not great. I want to go back in the evening.

3. Can you recommend other areas outside of Girona that are easy to get to by train/bus?

4. Are there any areas in either of those cities that I should avoid as a solo female traveller?

Thanks,

Aleks

Girona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Girona
Level Contributor
748 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Girona to Barcelona and Tossa de Mar without a car?

Travelling to Barcelona by train is the best option, more comfortable, regular and central. The price you quote is for the high speed train which takes 40 mins and calls at Sants Station. However if budget is a consideration can get the MD, cheaper and at 1 hour 15 mins still quicker than the bus. This stops at Sants but also Passeig de Gracia which is much more convenient for the shopping, sites etc.

Instead of looking for buses from Girona to Tossa, try Lloret instead. Much more regular service and only a short hop by taxi or bus to Tossa.

Other places to visit from Girona are Banyoles, Besalu and Figueres (Dali Museum). Unfortunately Girona is not well served by public transport to the beaches. Would be worth considering car hire to see the many Costa Brava resorts and countryside and towns between Girona and the coast.

Girona itself is one of the safest places in Europe for travellers. In fact, coming from UK, it amazes me how solo females here pay so little attention to there situation. I think you need to be more careful in Barcelona or at the coast but no more than usual precautions.

If you cycle then hiring a bike in Girona is a wonderful way for solo travellers to meet friends. Lots of solo travellers book cycling holidays here and there is a network of shop rides, cafes etc frequented by the cycling groups. Also get to see fabulous countryside on the rides.

Enjoy your stay.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
805 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Girona to Barcelona and Tossa de Mar without a car?

Would definitively recommend a day trip to Besalú - easy to get there by bus from Girona and the journey only takes about 45 minutes.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
188 reviews
3. Re: Girona to Barcelona and Tossa de Mar without a car?

Agree with the suggestion of Besalu, a very nice town.

4. Re: Girona to Barcelona and Tossa de Mar without a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2018, 00:17