We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girona in November

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Girona in November

We are traveling to Girona (flying in to Madrid, train to Girona) for a week in November (during US Thanksgiving holiday). I've read articles predicting all kinds of instability due to the independence vote yesterday. It is a month away - do you think things will calm down by then, or is there likely to be ongoing conflict? We will only be in Barcelona to change trains to and from Madrid. Thank you in advance. I know things can happen anywhere, I just am hoping for some reassurance. :) Thank you!

11 replies to this topic
Girona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Girona
Level Contributor
741 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girona in November

Unfortunately, I suspect your travel arrangements maybe affected. Today all the roads are blocked and public transport is on strike. However if you are on the high speed train the unions are committed to maintain a 75% service therefore you might see a little delay on your Madrid to Girona train but no cancellations.

As for when you are in Girona even on Sunday the day of the referendum and where you may have seen trouble the tourist areas in Barcelona and Girona were both relatively peaceful. I was on the Rambla on Girona and there were no disturbances.

However, today there is a strike with no shops, bars, cafes open which if repeated will affect you. I suspect there will be more such strikes between now and Christmas so you may have to watch out for the news during your stay to make sure you plan shopping trips etc around them.

In terms of safety the demonstrations are very peaceful but if you are at all worried just stay away from the squares, particularly where govt buildings are, i.e. Plaza del Vi and in front of Casa de Cultura. Don't worry you are not entering a war zone but it just might not be the quiet, laid back sleepy city of normal. Probably still safer than most cities in my home of the Uk though (and US?)

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girona in November

I am going to girona next week and I am not in the least worried about there being any trouble and if there is a strike I will understand completely after witnessing the deplorable way the Spanish government acted with there heavy handed tactics .

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girona in November

We have just come back from Girona yesterday...and yes there were a few demos, lots of people carrying flags and banners, lots of clapping, quite a few rallies we went along to one at around 9pm one evening just for a look. No trouble at all..mind you there were lots of police on the streets. People were outside at lunchtime from their offices clapping away, fire engines were hooting thier horns, do the place was a bit noisy.

There of course was a strike today, so luckily we left yesterday.

If you do hear a lot of commotion on the street just walk the other way.

Good luck.

Edited: 03 October 2017, 16:21
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girona in November

I should of also added that one of the polling stations was right outside our hotel, so one of my friends videoed a couple bits of pushing and shoving, but it was much less than I have seen at most football matches.

I think Darren is right that the thing to worry about is the closing of the transport system, cafes and restaurants ant trouble.

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girona in November

Thank you all! I have been looking forward to this trip for months. We were there in March and this time we are taking our son with us. We have plans to move there in several years when we retire.

Girona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Girona
Level Contributor
741 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girona in November

Enjoy your stay. I moved here from UK 8 years ago and never regretted it once. Fabulous lifestyle.

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girona in November

How are things now? After 155 being triggered?

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girona in November

We are still planning to take our trip, but I must admit, the triggering of 155 has me a bit nervous. It doesn't seem like a month will be enough time for things to calm down.

Girona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Girona
Level Contributor
741 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Girona in November

Art 155 triggered has made no difference, it was a symbolic gesture as they had already taken control of the finances, police etc.

As before there will be demos in the squares and possibly strikes (none scheduled currently). I was out in Girona last night and it was still safe, packed with tourists and locals, bars and restaurants all full. Life goes on as normal.

There is no urgency or trigger points here. When you say calmed down it will be like this for months, even years now. Catalans will not back down but it is not a civil war with guns and violence but more with PR and diplomacy.

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Girona in November

Thank you. I don't mean to sound ignorant of the situation. Our plans are to go ahead with our trip. Unfortunately peaceful protests in the U.S. don't usually stay that way, which is why I was concerned. I am looking forward to being back in what I hope is my future home!!

Reply to: Girona in November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Girona