We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starting point recommendation on camino de compostela(10days

1 post
Starting point recommendation on camino de compostela(10days

Hello I am a student that is planning to walk the camino de compostela alone for 10days.

I plan to walk about 20~25km everyday, and maybe up to 30km a few times if necessary.

Can some of you give me recommendations on where to start? I heard that from the 100km point it becomes a bit 'tourist-like' so for a few days in my starting point I would just like to see small, peaceful towns with their own charms.

Your personal experiences, knowledge anything will be super helpful.

Thank you so much!!

5 replies to this topic
O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,843 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Starting point recommendation on camino de compostela(10days

look at the top right of this page and hit the top question How to approach the Camino de Santiago.

There is more than just one Camino to SdC thus you can pick one that is not so overcrowded.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,185 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Starting point recommendation on camino de compostela(10days

If you are thinking of walking the Camino Frances, then Ponferrada is a good starting point. It is 216 km from Ponferrada to Santiago - so you could do that in 10 days with walking 20-25 km/day. This will give you a taste of the Camino before Sarria where things get more crowded - just about half of your walk will be before Sarria.

I did notice a difference from Sarria on, but it wasn't as much as I had thought it would be. Things were busier because a lot of pilgrims join at Sarria, but Galicia is an amazing part of Spain, so don't let that put you off - it is full of small villages and farms, wooded paths, mossy rock walls. A lot of pilgrims follow the set stages in guidebooks, but we found that by staying in the smaller places, not at the end of the stages, we avoided a lot of the crowds. We made sure to plan the couple days before Sarria so that we didn't overnight in Sarria, but passed through Sarria mid-day. We stopped for lunch and a look around, and then kept walking - staying in a small place farther on. By doing this, we were several hours behind the people who started from Sarria that day and a few hours ahead of the people who started from Sarria the next day. We spent a lot of time walking through Galicia without another pilgrim in sight.

Another option is starting in Astorga if you want to walk farther - it is 271km from there to Santiago, so over 10 days, you'd have to do between 25-30 km/day - that might be too much, but this would take you over Mt. Irun, with the highest point on the Camino Frances and where the Iron Cross is. That is important for a lot of people. If you do choose to start in Astorga and end up not doing the 25-30km/day and need to make up some mileage, you can take a bus or taxi for part of it - as long as you walk the last 100 km in their entirety, you will be eligible for the Compostela.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,242 posts
400 reviews
3. Re: Starting point recommendation on camino de compostela(10days

You can also check out the quieter Camino Primitivo. You'd need to start somewhere in the Asturias. You could start in Oviedo then, towards the end where it becomes crowded, take a bus if you can't finish on time.

Edited: 09 March 2018, 10:45
4. Re: Starting point recommendation on camino de compostela(10days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2018, 06:29

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Starting point recommendation on camino de compostela(10days

Portuguese route from Porto along the coast. We are planning to do this in 2019 too.

Reply to: Starting point recommendation on camino de compostela(10days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santiago de Compostela