We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to see & do after Camino to Santiago de Compostela

Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Things to see & do after Camino to Santiago de Compostela

Hello all,

I’ll be traveling to Spain for a hike from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela in the coming months. It will all start September 16 thru the 23rd. I have 3 days to spare after that and was looking for things to do and see before I head home to Texas. This willl be first time in the region. So far Finisterre or Muxia are places I do plan on visiting, but not sure about any others yet. I may take a but there or rent a car, due to time. I have heard the beaches are something else in the Galicia region, so that is something like to see as the Catherdrals Beach seems to be a popular one. I’ll be flying out of Santiago de Compostela on the 27th in the morning, but could change that if needed. Also, the weather. How has it been in the past years during the month of September?

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated.

David

6 replies to this topic
O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to see & do after Camino to Santiago de Compostela

Without a car most countryside locations are hard to visit. If you rent a car then you need an IDP too. You can get a bus to the town of Fisterra from SdC

Praia de Augas Santas (or as you call it Catherdrals Beach) is hard to reach using public transport.

You have to time your visit to low tides. and to you have to pre-reverse your visit.

https://ascatedrais.xunta.gal/monatr/inicio…

Weather is variable. You can look up weather history charts so tee how it was, but that is no guarantee as to what will happen. So the figures you look at will be related to one location in Galicia. Go a few km down the road and you could find it doing something the opposite.

Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to see & do after Camino to Santiago de Compostela

Okay, I will definitely look into all of that soon. The IDP for sure. Thank you.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
69,920 posts
3,785 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to see & do after Camino to Santiago de Compostela

US, Canadians and citizens of countries outside the European Union need an international driving permit to drive in Spain. One can get this permit at AAA. Rent a car with a GPS to make driving easy.

There is no free parking in cities and hotels charge 15-20 euros a day for parking.

For La Coruña:

Downtown La Coruña is the street Rua Real, the main shopping street. Use Booking.com to search for hotels. Good hotels are the Hesperia Finisterre and the Melia Maria Pita.

Best sights:

1. Tower of Hercules - The only working Roman lighthouse, built at the beginning of the 2nd century by order of the Emperor Trajan.

2. Plaza de Maria Pita - A large plaza containing the City Hall. Has typical houses with white glazed galleries (19thC), architectural elements making up one of the best known features of the city.

3. Castle of San Anton - A 16th-century fort that houses the Archaeological Museum.

4. Museo de Bellas Artes - The main art museum of the city, with 5000 works of art.

5. Aquarium Finisterrae - Houses one of the largest aquariums in Spain.

6. Regional Military Museum - Has important collections of arms, uniforms and flags.

7. Casa Museo Picasso - Where Picasso lived when he was young.

8. Playa de Riazor - The main beach, which is very long.

Typical Galician Food

One of Galicia's principal industries is fishing, so there is wonderful fresh fish available everywhere in Galicia.

1. Pulpo a la Feira - Octopus is beaten to tenderize it, and then boiled and cooked with salt and paprika, with olive oil. Usually only the tentacles are served. The dish is a bit spicy and is usually served on a wooden platter.

2. Salpicon de Mariscos - This is a seafood salad that contains octopus, shrimp, mussels and other seafood. The vegetables used are tomatoes and green pepper, and served with olive oil and vinegar.

3. Caldo Gallego - There are many variations of this hearty soup. It may contain beans, green vegetables, pork, ham, chorizo and potatoes.

4. Empanada Gallega - This is flat stuffed pastry that may be filled either with seafood, such as tuna or cod, or meat. It may contain bell pepper, tomato, and garlic.

5. Tetilla Cheese - This is a mild cheese with little salt, and is sold in the form of a woman's breast.

6. Tarta de Santiago (St. James Cake) - This is a dense almond cake that honors the memory of St. James. Many times it is topped with powdered sugar. There is a slight flavor of lemon.

7. Albariño Wine - This is a flavorful, fruity white wine that is produced along the coasts.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to see & do after Camino to Santiago de Compostela

there errors in the above cut and paste information please ignore it.

Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to see & do after Camino to Santiago de Compostela

Thank you so much. All good information that I am looking for. 👌

6. Re: Things to see & do after Camino to Santiago de Compostela

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2018, 07:09

Reply to: Things to see & do after Camino to Santiago de Compostela
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santiago de Compostela