We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostal Las Fuentes - incorrect charges on credit card

WI
Level Contributor
400 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Hostal Las Fuentes - incorrect charges on credit card

Hi,

Has anyone encountered problems with Hostal Las Fuentes in the past? Specifically, I'm wondering about billing. I made the reservation using their website and it stated that I would be charged for only one night in advance. When I looked at my credit card bill, I was actually charged for all 3 days. I have not stayed there yet (my trip is still upcoming).

I contacted them via e-mail to confirm the reservation and ask about the billing. They told me I used paypal (which I didn't) and that they don't have my credit card number and couldn't have charged me anything at all.

My credit card disagrees.

Has anyone run into this with them before? How did you resolve the situation?

Thanks in advance,

ALY

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hostal Las Fuentes - incorrect charges on credit card

Hello!

Sorry to hear what happen with your credit card.

If that was me, I would 1st call my credit card co. And let them know that they charged an incorrect amount and I would have them cancel the transaction based on that.

I would first double check the reservation policy of the hostal and the one on your confirmation, make sure you did not book a pre paid non refundable rate, I've seen it happened sometimes the fine print is really so.

Then, just look for another place to stay, if they were not helpful I would not give them my business, there are many, many places to choose from.

Just mho.

Edited: 04 May 2011, 00:41
WI
Level Contributor
400 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hostal Las Fuentes - incorrect charges on credit card

Hi Yes... I'd love to follow your suggestion but my trip is coming up soon and it took me weeks to find something affordable in a decent neighborhood. I don't think I'll be able to do that on such short notice. I do have an e-mailed confirmation from them, with the cancellation policy. The receipt states that I'm charged only for one night, just to hold the reservation. But when I checked my credit card statement, it was clear that I was charged for 3 days. I asked them for a "paid in full" receipt, and haven't heard back from them. I'm getting worried that they'll double-book the room (I've read plenty of stories here where people made reservations and their room was given away).

ALY.

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hostal Las Fuentes - incorrect charges on credit card

I checked around, what about hostal luz, its near hostal las fuentes, and seems to be in the same price range and TA reviews are very good.

here is the website: hostalluz.com

just to give you another choice,

check it out.

Yesi :)

WI
Level Contributor
400 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hostal Las Fuentes - incorrect charges on credit card

Thank you so much Yes. I checked out Hostal Luz but it's completely booked on the days I need it. :(

I forwarded my reservation confirmation to Hostal Las Fuentes asking them to help me understand what happened. I even highlighted in red the area that stated I was charged for only 1 night. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

What a great start to my trip! LOL. (and I haven't even left yet.)

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hostal Las Fuentes - incorrect charges on credit card

Hi ally!

I found another one, just in case you are still looking, or interested, it is very near the puerta del sol. very convinient for the metro.

its called Hostal Victoria, there are several I, II, & III. all within the same area.

all use the same website: hostal-victoria.com

super cheap and good TA reviews.

Otherwise, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, that it all turns out well with your original hostal.

WI
Level Contributor
400 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hostal Las Fuentes - incorrect charges on credit card

Thank you so much Yes. I really appreciate all your help on this. :) I'll check out Hostal Victoria. I too am keeping my fingers crossed with Las Fuentes. I wish I spoke Spanish so I could call them and figure it out.

But from what I've read in reviews (in general, not just at this specific hostal), errors in billing is a frequent issue and getting it resolved takes fortitude and persistence.

Thanks again,

ALY

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hostal Las Fuentes - incorrect charges on credit card

Hi Aly!

If u don't mind, could u update us on the outcome of the hostal situation?

I also checked out hostal Victoria for my self and emailed them, in Spanish, as I read in the TA reviews that they don't speak English which is the only sort of negative from all the reviews, because otherwise people are really happy with the hostal, they quoted me 39 euros per night in September for a single room, super cheap! I'm keeping my options open because my budget in Barcelona is more than I thought, but I cannot cut anything out, I am a total foodie, and will be dining in some Michelin restaurants, so I have to save somewhere! Lol

Hope it all turned out ok!

Yesi

WI
Level Contributor
400 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hostal Las Fuentes - incorrect charges on credit card

Hi Yes,

I e-mailed the hotel again, and got nothing.

I e-mailed the hotel a 3d time, this time forwarding them the confirmation I received from their website. In all my communication I was polite, asking to "help understand what's going on". That last e-mail with the attachment seemed to do the trick. They refunded me the other 2 days, saying there was a problem with the website and that the problem is fixed. I did check my credit card to see if the refund actually materialized and it did.

YAY! I don't know if there ever was a problem with the website or if they just do that hoping nobody would notice (or saying that they didn't charge the credit card, like they did in their first reply), but I'll keep an open mind. I'm just glad I got that refund and didn't need to cancel the reservation.

Thank you again for all your help looking for other hotels.

ALY.

9. Re: Hostal Las Fuentes - incorrect charges on credit card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 14:20