We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

apartments in central Madrid without cash payment?

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
2 posts
Save Topic
apartments in central Madrid without cash payment?

Hi all.

We will be in Madrid starting at the end of September.

Most of the rentals I can find require approx 75% payment in cash upon arrival, which I find particularly odd for rather obvious reasons.

I have no desire to carry 4000 euro in cash. I note that most of the recommendations here for rental agencies (friendlyrentals, mad4rent, etc) all have this cash policy.

Can anyone recommend apartments that don't require such a ridiculous payment scheme?

Many thanks in advance.

Aaron

Edited: 20 September 2011, 02:21
London, England
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: apartments in central Madrid without cash payment?

have you tried looking on websites such as holidayrentals, holidaylettings, homelidays, ownersdirect etc?

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,843 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: apartments in central Madrid without cash payment?

I think you'll find this is standard practice. But 4,000 euros IS an awful lot of cash to carry around.

You could try Spain-Select, who have been highly recommended here. They require full payment in advance by credit card or bank transfer, which you may not like either.

spain-select.com/en_US/payment-confirmation

If Spain Select don't have available accommodation for the end of September (they may not, as September is a popular time and you've left it rather late) or if this doesn't work for any reason, here are two more suggestions:

When you've found an apartment you'd like to stay in, contact the owner and ask if you can do a bank transfer.

Or, minimise the time you've got to carry the cash around by getting a pre-paid card, and withdraw the cash when you arrive. There is no limit on the amount of cash you can take out (it's your money) but the bank whose ATM you're withdrawing from will probably have a limit, and you'll have to go to more than one to get the full amount.

Edited: 20 September 2011, 07:03
USA
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: apartments in central Madrid without cash payment?

I have used Habitat apartments in Barcelona, and they do have apartments available in Madrid. They allow for paying balance on arrival by credit card, for a 3% (or 4%, I can't recall which) fee. For me, it's worth the fee to not have to carry all that cash. habitatapartments.com/en/…list

Portland, Oregon
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: apartments in central Madrid without cash payment?

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, I'll look into these options.

I certainly have no issue with covering the CC fees above the cash price. I was just suprised to see cash payment as an apparently standard practice as this has no financial recourse for the renter should there be issues.

Best,

Aaron

Edited: 20 September 2011, 10:04
London, United...
Level Contributor
15,843 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: apartments in central Madrid without cash payment?

That's true, but it does protect the owner from possible scams - except, of course, from forged banknotes. And actually, as long as you don't lose the cash, or get pickpocketed, it's a safe means of transaction for the renter as well as the owner. For one thing, you're IN the apartment, so you know it exists. The various forums are full of sad tales of being scammed and misled by crooked agents and irresponsible owners.

Apartment rental is full of pitfalls everywhere. One just has to do one's research, read reviews of others' experiences, and be careful.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: apartments in central Madrid without cash payment?

We stayed here 2 years ago: www.apartementospalacioreal.es

Very nice apartments and no payment in cash and no extra charge for credit card payment either.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: apartments in central Madrid without cash payment?

I think the pay cash on arrival system is a bit crazy as well. It forces me to carry more cash I would like to carry in an area / country with which i'm unfamiliar. Also the cash deposit system means I lose money in exchanging. I am staying in an apartment at the end of October where the refundable deposit is €300! At the end of my stay (assuming I receive it all back) what then do I do with all this cash! I will lose out twice on exchanging from GBP to Euro and back to GBP!

8. Re: apartments in central Madrid without cash payment?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 11:18