We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locauto rent company italia BEWARE!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Locauto rent company italia BEWARE!

Beware of Locauto rent in italy. It offers cheap prices (60 euros for a week) but in reality it is the beginning of a nightmare.We rented a car for 1 week to visit the wonderful Sicily. We took possession of the car at catania airport.

And we did the pre-departure check; Damage, fuel level, bodywork, Everything is noted then it is a departure.

Note that we took a video while of verification he car before and after the handing over.

At the handover, we went around the vehicle; Petrol, bodywork and damage. The worker from LOCAUTO told us that the car had a perfect condition. GOOD! It is the time of the return then we go back to Canada. 2 days later, on returning to Canada, I received a notification from my bank, telling me that LOCAUTO charges me 380 euros on my credit card for damage and administration fees.

I call the customer service number and I am referred to the complaints department, no response...

I also write by e-mail to customer service and my bank to know my rights. We signed the form and made a video of the guy from locauto who said that the condition of the car is perfect.

3 days later other invoices arrive, total 600 euros !! Unjustified, fraudulent and dishonest. Beware

50 replies to this topic
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,751 posts
18 reviews
21. Re: Locauto rent company italia BEWARE!

post #19

**I wish we could have read this forum before.**

You COULD have read this forum before you rented! IF your information didn't match, your license and your credit card were from different countries or your address was different, that could have been the issue. They require all information to match, it's a security thing.

post #20

What do you mean they charge you what they want? Don't you have a contract? What does the contract state as far as payments?

Donna

Lisbon, Portugal
2 posts
22. Re: Locauto rent company italia BEWARE!

Same here on the Milan Branch. There was a bent on the car which the verification office promptly went to check and it was only "felt" not seen. This was a SCAM. Unfortunetly i didnt made a video of the car before but im pretty sure this was there before since the bent didnt had even a scratch.

DONT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY!

Lisbon, Portugal
2 posts
23. Re: Locauto rent company italia BEWARE!

Same here on the Milan Branch. There was a bent on the car which the verification office promptly went to check and it was only "felt" not seen. This was a SCAM. Unfortunetly i didnt made a video of the car before but im pretty sure this was there before since the bent didnt had even a scratch.

DONT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY!

London, United...
1 post
24. Re: Locauto rent company italia BEWARE!

I can only agree with this writer. these guys are Fraudsters.

We hired a car from Locauto in Pisa in August and did not buy their overpriced excess waiver insurance . On return the car was also subjected to the same over zealous scrutiny which I have heard from other travellers seems to be a reserved for those who did not by the policy.

They said there were scratches in the paintwork which would cost 300 euros. we contested this and said that was ridiculous and had photos of the damage showing barely noticeable changes in paint colour no dents and scratches . We were told to write to customer service.

On return to the UK we found 2 sums had been removes from our account.The money was then put back overnight in and a day later 3 sums in separate transactions were taken out. One for the car hire ,415 euros fair enough and a further 1,000 euros and 400 euros . When queried they said this was for dents scratches paint etc. We have been fighting this ever since and are now going to refer this matter to the Pisa police to instigate a fraud inquiry because this seems to be a widespread scam. If any other affected parties wish to add their stories to our case please let us know.

25. Re: Locauto rent company italia BEWARE!

Hi!Please tell how you disputed these situations? Do you have your money Black?

26. Re: Locauto rent company italia BEWARE!

Hi. Please tell how you disputed these situations? Do you have your money back?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,751 posts
18 reviews
27. Re: Locauto rent company italia BEWARE!

If you have the damages sheet from the beginning of the rental listing all damage and the same sheet at the end of the rental stating no new damages you can contest the charges. If you didn't inspect the car at the beginning and end of the rental you have no case as you cannot prove you didn't cause the damage.

Donna

28. Re: Locauto rent company italia BEWARE!

we have only fotos of the car at the 1 Day and Day of return. they didnt get any documentation, only schema pn the laptop with marked damages. at the Day of return we left the car early in the morning and made before all needed fotos and video. question is how to disputed these charges

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,751 posts
18 reviews
29. Re: Locauto rent company italia BEWARE!

IF you left the car before the agency opened you are still responsible for any damages that may have occured before it was checked in.

The only way to dispute the charges is to have your credit card raise a dispute. If you can prove you didn't do any damage they may refund the money. You will need to show there is no new damage to the car.

Donna

30. Re: Locauto rent company italia BEWARE!

Maybe you know about successful cases of such disputed with locauto?

Reply to: Locauto rent company italia BEWARE!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted