We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how bad is Alitalia?

USA
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
how bad is Alitalia?

We flew Alitalia Business Class 2 years ago and the seats were awful and the plane was old. Have things improved now?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how bad is Alitalia?

Depends on the type of plane you get (service is nearly always just fair) - Last Sept I ended up on an older plane where the tv was overhead every few aisles and the plane was clearly pretty worn.

In April, I ended up on a newer plane that had an entertainment system on the seatback in front of me where I could watch a bunch of movies, etc. Seats are still pretty small because they still cram as many in as possible. I can't comment on business class.

But when booking on line, you do have an opportunity to see what kind of plane it is, then you can look it up to see what the layout is -

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how bad is Alitalia?

Hi,

there are many new aircrafts now, both for domestic and international flights (Airbus a330). Last August, I was on a new plane with the same system described by MomCat. There were several channels and, as I had a pair of headphones with me (they didn't provide any), I could watch something.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how bad is Alitalia?

I use SeatGuru.com, an excellent source of info on airlines and flights, as well as FlyerTalk.com.

Alitalia was one of the least pleasant international flight experiences I can remember - that was 25 years ago and I have avoided them since. OTOH, travel in economy class has gotten pretty poor over the past 5-7 so I am not sure how much worse they are now compared to others.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how bad is Alitalia?

Most of the Alitalia planes I've used in the past five years have the seatback entertainment system. However, on recent flights we're often on AirOne planes; they have all been older and with the overhead screens. As for service, I find it about the same on all carriers. I board the plane expecting discomfort and bad food, and then if it's all right, I'm pleasantly surprised. On a recent Alitalia flight, the food was really quite good.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,527 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how bad is Alitalia?

The AZ Boeing 777-200 planes have seatback entertainment screens. The AZ Boeing 767-300 planes have overhead monitors every six to eight rows of seats, but no seatback entertaiment screens. The newest AZ Airbus 330-200 planes also have seatback entertainment screens. The Alitalia webpages will identify the type of aircraft used on its transatlantic routes.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how bad is Alitalia?

doncha... i see you have received advice on a punter using a single flight in 1985!! oh dear... all i can say is that as far as euro airlines are concerned, alitalia has a bad reputation... mainly due to punctuality issues... i have never flown with them as i have never needed to... but they dont fall out of the sky...

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how bad is Alitalia?

On the other hand Keepitreal gives much more valuable advice, since he's used Alitalia, let's see, how many times? Oh.

boardingarea.com/blogs/…

Edited: 19 October 2010, 18:05
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how bad is Alitalia?

KepinItReal seems to take great pleasure in disparaging as many of my posts as possible - a hobby for him it seems. I mostly choose to just ignore him.

Edited: 20 October 2010, 08:28
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how bad is Alitalia?

I have flown alitalia a fair amount, mostly from los angeles to milan or rome. I have two cousins who are alitalia pilot, so I was trying to support the family ...

on these long flights the entertainment system was of the nice kind, although few times it did not work too well and I could only watch few of the many movies. so I would not rate it very high on this dimension. what I really really like is that they have a very good safety record. service has never been anything to write home about. what I do not like is that every time I change plane in Rome they lose my luggage and I get it back 3 days later. also I had really bad experiences in Rome when I missed my connecting flight and had to get a new boarding pass: being shuffled from one line to the next, nobody knew what to do. I must say that I unfortunately I tend to travel during high season, when airports are really crowded, so maybe other airlines would have done a poor job too.

my bottom line is that if I had to go to Rome I would probably take alitalia, but if I have to change plane and I have a nice alternative I take the alternative now. (I got the blessing of my cousins, they have been very sympathetic ...).

10. Re: how bad is Alitalia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2011, 00:18