We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter 2008 in Campania

London, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
Easter 2008 in Campania

My wife and I are considering a trip to Campania, arriving Saturday, March 15th and departing Sunday, March 23rd. We haven't decided on a final itinerary yet but would likely want to see Naples, Pompeii/Herculaneum, Sorrento, the Amalfi Coast, Paestum, etc.

Good Friday is on the 21st so I'm worried that there might be very large crowds throughout the region during that week. I am told that many Italians have holidays starting on the 20th. On top of that, many North Americans have their spring break that same week, although I'm not sure that Campania is a bit spring break destination given that it's not beach weather at that time of year.

Can anyone tell me what the crowds are likely to be like? Is the Amalfi coast going to be packed with people?

I would appreciate any advice.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Easter 2008 in Campania

I've always heard that it's the week after Easter that's crowded, rather than the one before. Regardless, I'm sure the crowds on the Amalfi Coast will be nothing like they are later in the Spring and early Summer.

I spent the week before Easter in Amalfi this past April. There were plenty of other tourists, but it wasn't so bad. I left the day before Easter, but I'm really glad I got to see the Good Friday Procession in Amalfi before I did. It's one of my favorite memories from the trip, and it may be one of yours as well.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
2. Re: Easter 2008 in Campania

Thanks jjkdc,

Did you look in to the various processions and choose Amalfi's specifically, or did you just happen upon it? I've heard Sorrento has a couple that are great too.

Does anyone else have an opinion on the crowds in Campania the week of Easter or on which procession is the best to see?

Thanks again.

South Orange, New...
Level Contributor
584 posts
3. Re: Easter 2008 in Campania

I stayed in Positano right before Easter the year before last (i.e. Palm Sunday weekend)...ummm crowds??? NO (!) there was a little amimation film festival going on...but even that did not make things crowded AT ALL. It was not as dead say as in Feb. but not at all crowded...Amalfi and Capri more so than other spots...with European school kids on tours...I'VE done Spring break in Amalfi...but I didn't meet any other students doing that ;-) the ones that are will be staying in Sorrento anyway where there's at least a bit of a nightlife (!) and most would be students already in Italy for exchange programs. (and, BTW, my kid here in the US doesn't get off schoolc at all that week aside from Good Friday)Easter is so early this year...I wouold think maany things will actually still be closed for the season...many tourist restaurants and shops don't open until April (things were still closed in Positano when easter was in April)...all Ferries will not be up and running for the summer season yet, etc. anyway...my point. no. I do not think it will be packed with people at all.

Leicester, England
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Easter 2008 in Campania

Does anyone know if Pompei will be open on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday? We are also planning to visit at this time, staying in Sorrento from Good Friday through to following Tuesday and are working out our itinerary. Figured the weekend might be best for boat to Capri, and bus to Amalfi/ Ravello but not sure if schedules will be affected by holiday closures. We would then go to Pompei on Easter Monday. Grateful for any advice.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Easter 2008 in Campania

We were in Positano in 2005 from the Wednesday before Easter (3/23) to Easter Sunday (3/27). There were very few crowds anywhere we went.

We enjoyed the Good Friday procession in Sorrento on that evening. There was also an early morning procession through the streets of Positano early Easter morning that we could view from our terrace. We traveled along the Amalfi Coast on that Thursday - very little traffic or crowds. We visited Capri on that Friday - also not crowded. In fact, the ferry over was almost empty. On the Saturday before Easter, we visited Pompeii. Again, no crowds at all. We left to drive to Florence on Easter Sunday - no traffic at all.

Leicester, England
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Easter 2008 in Campania

Thanks Mom83, that's really helpful!

Fideon

7. Re: Easter 2008 in Campania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 03:22