We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agriturismo

Which Salerno hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
N.Wales
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Agriturismo

We are staying at Azienda Agricola Biologica Barone Antonio Negri,in Gaiano, Nr. Salerno next month and usually like to read what other Tripadvisor members have to say about places we are going to but I can't find any comments, reviews etc. about the above. Surely somebody has something to pass on?

Grateful for any comments, tips etc.

Kaggsy

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agriturismo

Dear Kaggsy,

Gaiano is right near the University of Salerno in Fisciano which in general is near a range of hills and smaller towns. Nearby Baronissi (Ikea was just about to move there and was blocked by local groups) and Mercato San Severino are considered inland districts in Salerno. That whole area is less congested than Salerno; there are so many villas in that area that it's interesting and good to hear that some families are opening up agriturismos.

http://www.agrinegri.it/

Although I've not seen the agriturismo (yet), I think you might consider renting a car. Although many bus connections run from Fisciano to downtown Salerno, the area of and near Gaiano is pretty quiet by at least Napoli and Roma and even Salerno standards. Gaiano is right near the A30 autostrada and the autostrada running between Salerno and Avellino so that whole area isn't too bad to drive (it's practically all freeway). I do think that the downtown areas even in the small towns near Gaiano and Fisciano can be nutty when the A30 or the other autostrada clogs up and locals heading back to Salerno in the evening start using the smaller side streets/roads running parallel to the autostradas.

I'm not sure when you're going, however, towns on that whole area on the side of the hills/mountains has small local festivals and chestnuts are especially a reknown crop. You might find that nearby local restaurants serve up great beef and pork dishes as well as primo piatto/pasta dishes with pieces of chestnuts.

You will probably find so many old nearby churches and certainly plenty of places to hike. As a warning, walking along some of the roads may seem very dangerous due to the way people handle the mountain curves, however, drivers are pretty good about not hitting pedestrians. It'd be safe to ask the owner of the agriturismo about some established safe hikes (little race-car-like traffic) in case you were interesting in walking around.

An in-law just sold her huge hillside chestnut-tree-studded villa at nearby Orignano, and I always loved that whole area. I often wondered why more agriturismos didn't open up in that nice rural part of the Province of Salerno. Many speculators are buying up nearby property in hopes of making a fortune as the University of Salerno keeps pumping out recent graduates and researchers who keep on with the school's staff and who like living in that area. What seems like paradise to me is a gold mine for many others.

Buona Fortuna...

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Agriturismo

Actually, my in-law's villa was surrounded by loads of walnut trees and a few chestnut trees. It looks like Barone Negri's website illustrates how nuts are used in local cooking and foods:

www.agrinegri.it/index.php…

www.agrinegri.it/index.php…

Buon Viaggio...

3. Re: Agriturismo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about Salerno