We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salerno Railway Station Lounge

4 posts
1 review
Salerno Railway Station Lounge

May I know is there any lounge in the railway station? or is there any 24/7 shop/restaurant nearby the station because I need to have a place to have a rest before catching a midnight train.

Thanks in advance!!!! :)

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,288 posts
43 reviews
11. Re: Salerno Railway Station Lounge

Regional trains do not change price so one purchased at the last minute would cost the same as one bought months before.

However, the only way to travel from Salerno to Rome on regional trains would require at least one and usually two changes.

4 posts
1 review
12. Re: Salerno Railway Station Lounge

thanks for your info caprany! I think I will just stay at the hostel nearby to get some rest and catch a later train at around 6/7am.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
13. Re: Salerno Railway Station Lounge

Moreover, 20 minutes connection time from the arriving ferry boat to the train departure at Salerno is insufficient for a "safe" connection: consider that the ferry could be running late (say 10-20 minutes), plus it takes a full 10 minutes to walk to the train station from the dock (done so myself numerous times), plus you need some time to purchase the train ticket at the station (either from one of the electronic ticket machines or from the staffed ticket window, which may have a line). I recommend a MINIMUM connection of 40 minutes (and 60 minutes is even better).

If you elect to save money by purchasing a discounted ticket for a fast reserved train (either Trenitalia or rival Italo Treno), and MISS the train because of a late-arriving ferry boat, you will FORFEIT the ticket and lose the money already paid. Even if you were to purchase a ticket at the regular "BASE" fare, you would have only a ONE HOUR GRACE PERIOD to re-book to a later train (at no additional charge). After the one hour grace period, you again FORFEIT the ticket purchased in advance if you miss the train.

So, you need to carefully weigh the benefits of purchasing a discounted ticket in advance for a fast reserved train (and running the forfeiture risk), or waiting until you actually arrive at the Salerno train station to purchase a regular-fare ticket (and avoid the forfeiture risk entirely). The difference in fare can be quite substantial: consider that you could take a Trenitalia Intercity train from Salerno to Rome for as little as 9 Euros.

From Salerno to Rome, nobody will recommend taking the unreserved regionale trains (with at least one required connection in Naples) just to save money, as this will take far too much time, and you can travel for less money with a discounted ticket for one of the (nicer) fast, through trains!

BTW, here is some "official" nomenclature: the fast reserved Trenitalia trains (Freccia and Intercity) are classified as "national" trains. The unreserved regionale trains are classified as "regional" trains. The distinction turns on the category of train, and NOT the geography covered. Italo Treno has only fast reserved trains and no regional trains. Moreover, Italo Treno is not a government-subsidized operator, so its trains are not considered "national" as are those of Trenitalia.

Edited: 26 April 2016, 15:50
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
14. Re: Salerno Railway Station Lounge

Hi GAC thank you for your detailed response! What about SITA buses from Amalfi to Salerno? I've heard the buses can get crowded but since we will be at the starting point, we will most likely get seats, right?

We will be traveling on Wed 6/22 and based on this schedule, there should be one at 8AM and then 9AM?

sitabus.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/5120_A…

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
15. Re: Salerno Railway Station Lounge

The SITA bus from Amalfi to Salerno is fine, and you should indeed be able to get seats if you board promptly after the doors open. Yes, the current schedules show bus departures at 8 and 9 a.m. for a Wednesday morning. New schedules for mid-June are likely to be the same for this timeframe.

Bear in mind that the Amalfi/Salerno bus is typically not as crowded as the Amalfi/Sorrento bus (which passes through Praiano and Positano). I have used both routes and did note a big distinction in the passenger load of the two lines.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
24 reviews
16. Re: Salerno Railway Station Lounge

Smart cookie, Paul L!

Orange County...
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
17. Re: Salerno Railway Station Lounge

Do not buy railroad tickets online when you travel in Italy. You can always buy tickets right before traveling! On top of that, you can get better deals to buy tickets on train stations : cheaper, family discount, weekend discount, students' discount, train tickets plus unlimited public transportation at the destination point!!!!!! And the most important, NO HEADACHE that you will miss your train!

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,718 posts
14 reviews
18. Re: Salerno Railway Station Lounge

The main reason people purchase tickets in advance is because of the substantial discount available - and to guaranty a seat (other than on regionale). It often makes great sense to advance purchase, especially if your travel plans are set.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
24 reviews
19. Re: Salerno Railway Station Lounge

dear wis3ly,

A bit of a caveat: here is our experience 3x using Sita Amalfi-Salerno direction in afternoons late April (perhaps mornings are easier?). Each trip it was standing room only with aggressive passengers (not easy to get on 1st, no organized line). Once boarded, when an American woman realized we meant to exit along the way, she actually yelled 'this bus is supposed to be direct to Salerno, it can't stop anywhere else' (untrue). A standing & angry Russian woman also yelled at us, determinedly planting herself firmly between our attempt to speak to the driver (luckily a kindly ragazzo passed the message forward for us). The 3rd trip we gave up & boarded through the rear door with locals which assured us of seats but it meant we risked being found out for not validating tickets since the box is up front well past the standees. When it came to visit Ravello, we decided to climb the 1200 steps up & back, MUCH more gratifying!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
20. Re: Salerno Railway Station Lounge

Here is my experience taking the Amalfi to Salerno SITA bus a couple of years ago around 7 a.m. midweek:

There was a medium-sized crowd of passengers eager to board the bus at the terminus in Amalfi. As soon as the driver unlocked the front door, many passengers surged forward in an undisciplined and aggressive manner, like a flock of aggressive gadflies (I was one of them). There was some pushing but no shoving as far as I could discern. I was among the first to board, and immediately found an empty seat up front (after validating my ticket in the machine by the driver). By the time the doors were closed, most of the seats had been filled. More passengers boarded the bus in Atrani, Minori and Maiori. By the time the bus arrived in Salerno, there were numerous people standing, but not so many to impede leaving the conveyance.

Caprany's report above is not surprising, and should be read as a cautionary tale about the bus service along the Amalfi Coast. The route between Amalfi/Positano and Sorrento is EVEN WORSE!!!!!

Unfortunately, the privately-operated red sightseeing bus does NOT operate between Amalfi and Salerno. The only other option by public transportation is the ferry boat from late March through October, although there are no early morning crossings useful for early morning trains out of Salerno (making the SITA bus the only game in town aside from confiscatory taxis and private transfer services).

Grin and bear it ..... and enjoy the lovely scenery of the coastline!!! Consider also that you're paying only 2.20 Euros for the bus ticket on this route ..... a real bargain.

Get answers to your questions about Salerno