We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another day trip advise. Salerno to Maiori bus.

neston,wirral,englan...
Level Contributor
652 posts
283 reviews
Another day trip advise. Salerno to Maiori bus.

I have all the bus details & times. I get the bus No5120, where is the nearest bus stop to the Cruise Terminal?

Thank you

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Another day trip advise. Salerno to Maiori bus.

It depends where the ship docks at the Port. If you look at Google Maps, you will see that the bus stops are along the SS18 (Strada Statale 18), which is elevated with respect to the streets skirting the Port area. Exactly how you get to the bus stop is not clear to me, as I have never done it. You may need to backtrack eastwards to the location where the SS18 can be easily accessed from points south (Via Porto/Via Ligea). You should definitely ask someone knowledgeable at the Port to tell you exactly how to walk to the nearest bus stop. Hopefully, you will not miss the hourly bus going to Maiori/Amalfi and will be able to board the bus. Bring a copy of the bus schedules with you. You will also need to purchase the bus ticket at an authorized vendor close to the bus stop ("Corsa Semplice" = 1.80 Euros each way).

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,288 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: Another day trip advise. Salerno to Maiori bus.

I haven't taken this bus in two years so the route could have changed, it would be good to hear from a recent user. When I used it last the route went inland shortly after the train station but I couldn't tell you exactly which street it used.

To be on the safe side I would be inclined to go to the train station for the bus unless we hear from someone with recent experience who can give us a closer stop.

From the cruise port (Molo Manfredi, assuming you dock here) to the train station is a little over a mile on foot, a pleasant walk along a tree lined promenade for much of the way. If you'd rather you can take a local bus to Piazza Concordia, about two blocks from the station. The local bus schedule is here: http://www.cstp.it/linee/6fe.pdf (the stop near the port is after Ligea but before Concordia).

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Another day trip advise. Salerno to Maiori bus.

You do not need to walk all the way back to the train station in Salerno to catch the SITA bus bound for Maiori and Amalfi (although doing so increases the odds of finding a good seat). This bus takes Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi westward until it starts the uphill climb out of town towards Vietri sul Mare. The bus skirts the northern edge of the Villa Comunale, then Piazza Francesco Alario, where the westbound and eastbound SS18 merge and continue westwards out of town. The bus makes about four or five stops before leaving the city limits of Salerno. I remember catching this bus along Corso Garibaldi near the Palazzo di Giustizia, before the street changes name to Via Roma further west. There were a couple more stops before the bus reaches Piazza Alario on the western edge of town. If you get accurate information on the spot, you should be able to catch the bus much closer to the cruise ship port, and avoid a very long walk eastwards to the train station (of course, if you want to get a taste of urban Salerno, and have lots of energy, you are welcome to make the long walk). But be advised that the distance is over 2 kilometers and will take at least 30 minutes on foot. The downside of catching the bus closer to the cruise port (aside from the risk of not finding the exact stop and missing the hourly bus) is that there will be fewer free seats than if you boarded at the train station. There is even the possibility of having to stand (ugh!), which you certainly want to avoid!!!!

neston,wirral,englan...
Level Contributor
652 posts
283 reviews
4. Re: Another day trip advise. Salerno to Maiori bus.

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

We don't mind walking & think it may be best as GAC advised to walk to the station for a better chance of a seat.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Another day trip advise. Salerno to Maiori bus.

But on the RETURN trip TO Salerno, you can ask the driver to drop you at the closest stop to the cruise port! It should be a downward slope walk for you.

neston,wirral,englan...
Level Contributor
652 posts
283 reviews
6. Re: Another day trip advise. Salerno to Maiori bus.

Good idea.

7. Re: Another day trip advise. Salerno to Maiori bus.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2017, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Salerno