We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples, Sorrento, Capri by ferry

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Naples, Sorrento, Capri by ferry

I am cruising on a ship which docks in Naples. We are considering booking an excursion which takes us to Sorrento. From Sorrento, we take a ferry to Capri ~ from Capri back to Naples and then a ferry to our ship's dock.

Does this seem a bit ambitious for a day trip? I appreciate any feed back.

Thanks,

Roz

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,602 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples, Sorrento, Capri by ferry

Capri is a nice size island with much to enjoy; I'd just take the ferry over to Capri right from Naples. If you had more time - at least one more day, then going somewhere else would be more doable.

www.capri.net

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,521 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples, Sorrento, Capri by ferry

Agree with MomCat. Capri is picture-perfect.

If you have time, you may want to include a trip to the Blue Grotto which is unforgettable. Are you booking a cruise ship tour? It's probably not necessary as you can take a ferry/hydrofoil from the port and get your own way there and back probably for half the price. Once over there, you'll see plenty of operators who can take you to the Blue Grotto or simply for a boat trip around the island. We took a private boat trip - just the two of us on a gorgeous wooden boat and were able to stop for swims enjoy the island's beauty from the water.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples, Sorrento, Capri by ferry

Kathy- So it would be OK to just get the ferry or hydrofoill there and oraganise a boat trip on the day? Roughly what would be the price? Do you need to bargain or are they fixed price?

We too are on a cruise in Naples and we have seen Sorrrento and Pompeii so thought look at the sites of Naples or visit Capri. I think Capri sounds and looks beautiful so leaning towards that for something different.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks, Lynne

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,521 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples, Sorrento, Capri by ferry

Lynne, with regards boat tours when you arrive at Capri, there are many, many choices. Our private boat was about 100 euros - but you can certainly get cheaper than that (we opted for luxury and felt like Bond Girls for a day!). As for bargaining, depends what time of year you're going. If it's peak season then no - but if you're there in October I would haggle for sure!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,602 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples, Sorrento, Capri by ferry

There are some boat companies on this site that you can email and ask about prices but as noted, there are a bunch of options once you arrive on the island and you get to the end of the quay after you get off your ferry/hydrofoil. Last I was there, the companies were on the left - can't miss them but you could check some of the options here if you want:

www.capri.net

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples, Sorrento, Capri by ferry

Thank you for your input. I REALY appreciate it!

Roz

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naples, Sorrento, Capri by ferry

Thank you for your response. Like the idea of the wooden boat ride!

Roz

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Naples, Sorrento, Capri by ferry

Can anyone help, in past years I have taken ferry from Naples to Sorrento however this year I am having difficulty locating the ferry company Help please

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,602 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Naples, Sorrento, Capri by ferry

Check this site for boat info:

napoliunplugged.com/naples-maritme-transport…

10. Re: Naples, Sorrento, Capri by ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 00:16