We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money for 5 nights in Rome

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Spending money for 5 nights in Rome

Hi there,

My partner and I are visiting Rome at the end of April for 5 nights for the first time and we are wondering how much spending money we will require. I know that there isn't a perfect answer, but we are just looking for an estimation. We are a young couple, who plan on doing all the usual sightseeing, tourist things during the day (we will be happy to just stop and grab some quick lunch during the day etc) and then will probably venture out at night for a meal/drinks. We were considering taking around 800-900 euros for the 5 nights, and was wondering if this seems reasonable enough? We would rather have extra left, than be short. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Thanks/

31 replies to this topic
Australia
Level Contributor
4,507 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending money for 5 nights in Rome

Don't take a load of euros with you, just say 200 and a debit card each (separate accounts is you have them, just in case a bank kindly blocks your account). Draw more from ATMs. Tell your banks when and where you will be so their computers don't think your transactions suspicious.

Coffee as do Romans off to work, standing at a bar for coffee and pastry and or juice. Just few euros. Abundant fresh food available for lunch. Lots of dinner options, thousands of restaurants, menus posted outside. Observe the demeanour of patrons and staff. Eat away from Big Tourist Places. House wines, away from tourist locations anyway may be from wherever the owner or chef comes from and may most suit the food.

Edited: 09 April 2018, 05:28
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
39,863 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending money for 5 nights in Rome

We plan 100 euros per day for the two of us. I bring 100 euros in cash and get the rest as needed out of the ATM machine.

donna

Bonnybridge, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending money for 5 nights in Rome

We are going for 4 nights later on this week and are taking 900 Euros with a credit card for back-up should it look like we are going to run short. It'll be lunch out, Pre Dinner Drinks then a meal at a restaurant at night. Any moderately expensive entrance fees will go on the credit card. You'll know after your first day whether your on track and you can switch the odd meal onto the plastic if you need to conserve the cash.

Don't take it all out with you. Leave some in your hotel safe.

Sandy

Europe
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending money for 5 nights in Rome

i never understand these questions.

If this is an issue of budgeting, well, only you can decide how much you're comfortable spending. You can eat for EUR 5 or EUR 500, and anything in between...

If this is an issue of the logistics of handling cash, you don't 'bring' any money. you bring cards and use a credit card for large payments and a debit card to get cash from an ATM, which can be found anywhere, including at the airport.

> can switch the odd meal onto the plastic if you need to conserve the cash.

Again, it's not like cash is some rare commodity. If you need more, just visit an ATM

Bonnybridge, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending money for 5 nights in Rome

A cash withdrawal in a foreign country will incur charges. A cash advance usually has a minimum charge on a credit card then a flat percentage once the minimum limit has been reached. You'll be charged interest on top off that from the minute you withdraw the cash and you are at the mercy of the exchange rate offered. If your prepared to pay through the nose for your money then by all means use the ATM. Convenient perhaps but costly.Your choice.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
39,863 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending money for 5 nights in Rome

** If your prepared to pay through the nose for your money then by all means use the ATM.**

Unless you have a horrible bank the ATM is the best way to get money. Using a money changer or a cash advance from a credit card are really bad ideas.

Donna

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending money for 5 nights in Rome

"A cash advance usually has a minimum charge on a credit card then a flat percentage once the minimum limit has been reached. You'll be charged interest on top off that from the minute you withdraw the cash and you are at the mercy of the exchange rate offered."

No-one is suggesting taking a cash advance on a credit card which would indeed be costly. Just use a debit card to get cash at an ATM - there are fee-free cards. As for the exchange rate, the rate used to convert debit or credit card transactions will almost certainly be much better than what you can get in a bank or bureau de change.

Europe
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending money for 5 nights in Rome

> A cash withdrawal in a foreign country will incur charges. A cash advance usually has a minimum charge on a credit card then a flat percentage once the minimum limit has been reached. You'll be charged interest on top off that from the minute you withdraw the cash and you are at the mercy of the exchange rate offered. If your prepared to pay through the nose for your money then by all means use the ATM. Convenient perhaps but costly.Your choice.

So much ignorance in a single post. If you want to pay through the nose, you should change cash. On average, the fees for changing cash are much higher than when using an ATM with a *debit* card. And nobody suggested to use a credit card for ATM withdrawals.

Bonnybridge, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending money for 5 nights in Rome

I think we'd all do ourselves a favour by reminding ourselves of the original post. It never mentioned cash withdrawals and neither did my original reply which was basically agreeing with the OP. Call me ignorant if you like but I think you'll find I slated the use of credit cards in a follow up reply and people are agreeing with me and insulting me at the same time. Forums like this are here to help people not to trade insults.

So is 900 Euros a reasonable amount of cash to take with you on a 5 night trip to Rome ? I say it is.

Sandy

PS It costs nothing to withdraw cash from your hotel room safe. 😜

Europe
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending money for 5 nights in Rome

> PS It costs nothing to withdraw cash from your hotel room safe.

What you fail to understand is that exchanging that cash was not free. Cash exchanges at home are likely to be more expensive than using ATMs

No I do not agree that €900 is a reasonable amount to bring. First, I don't think one needs that much cash. Second, why would you travel with large amount t of cash, which is risky? Third, as I already pointed out, it's more expensive to exchange at home.

So I think your advice is bad advice. And you were being slammed (not insulted) because you implied that others had suggested to use credit cards to use withdrawals. Which no-one had. Also, you don't seem to understand the true cost of the various ways of exchanging money. Is always helpful to know what you're talking about when lecturing others.

Reply to: Spending money for 5 nights in Rome
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted