We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice Day Trip

Uk
Level Contributor
12 posts
50 reviews
Venice Day Trip

Hi travelling to Rome this weekend looking to possibly do a day trip to Venice Tuesday next week. Is this a possibility or is it to long a journey? If it’s feasable can anyone point me in the right direction of how to go about it? Thanks 👍🏼

11 replies to this topic
Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
502 posts
101 reviews
1. Re: Venice Day Trip

It is physically possible, but not recommended due to the fact it is 3.5 hours each way by train. Venice is best seen in the evening after the day trippers have left, in my opinion. Look at Trenitalia's website for the train schedules.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
905 posts
95 reviews
2. Re: Venice Day Trip

Hardly seems worth a 7 hour + journey (adding in time to get to the train station from your hotel, etc) to spend a few hours in Venice, particularly when there are so many other options for a day trip from Rome. Have you been to Florence (1 hr 20 minutes on the fast train from Rome) or Naples (just over an hours journey)?

Augsburg
Level Contributor
266 posts
206 reviews
3. Re: Venice Day Trip

I would rent a Heli or a Learjet for a daytrip frome Rome to Venice

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
50,238 posts
89 reviews
4. Re: Venice Day Trip

From the UK. make it another time, enough to see in Rome and Venice certainly needs more than a day,

Uk
Level Contributor
12 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: Venice Day Trip

Oh great thanks perhaps will look at Florence! This is our second time to Rome so wanted to do something different for 1 day. Thanks again!

California
Level Contributor
12,831 posts
56 reviews
6. Re: Venice Day Trip

why not take a day trip from Rome to Naples?....

Uk
Level Contributor
12 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: Venice Day Trip

Went to Naples when we went to sorrentto 🙌🏻

California
Level Contributor
12,831 posts
56 reviews
8. Re: Venice Day Trip

how about pretty Orvieto -- a hilltop town in Umbria, just 1.5 hrs from Rome via bus.

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
3,151 posts
100 reviews
9. Re: Venice Day Trip

I'd choose Florence for a day trip. But if you really want Venice, just keep your existing hotel in Rome, and then spend one night in Venice at another hotel and return. Cost a bit more but makes it doable...

West Chester...
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
181 reviews
10. Re: Venice Day Trip

So much to do around Rome without having to spend so much time on the train. It's a short ride on the Metro system to Ostia Antica with it's Roman ruins and Mosaics.

As stated above Orvieto is not far by train, nor is Florence. So is Arrezzo. You might be able to find a trip from Rome to Orvieto that also stops at Pitigliano or Civitta Bagno Regio.

While I love Venice it seems like quite a long trip for a day (if you don't stay overnight).

Reply to: Venice Day Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted