We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to buy Colosseum tickets ahead of time?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
230 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to buy Colosseum tickets ahead of time?

What is the best way to buy the Colosseum tickets ahead of time? I have these three website, anyone else or better option?

www.pierreci.it

www.ticketclic.it.

www.tickitaly.com

Ireland
Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to buy Colosseum tickets ahead of time?

By them at the Palentine booth just beside the Colosseum. That way you beat the queues.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to buy Colosseum tickets ahead of time?

We arrived at the Colloseum to find a huge massive queue. However as we joined the back of the queue we were approached to see if we would like to join a tour and skip the queue. I am always a bit wary however, it was (I think, appx) 10 euro more than the actual price to get in and it included an official guided tour of the colloseum and also the forums and Palistine. Bearing in mind it was very very hot a few weeks ago, I felt it was the best thing we did and the tours are official.

Enjoy.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to buy Colosseum tickets ahead of time?

I posted this link a few days ago - it's an article from Wanted in Rome who actually mention www.pierreci.it.

www.wantedinrome.com/news/news.php?id_n=3413

Wanted in Rome is a magazine in English which you can buy at newsstands through Rome.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to buy Colosseum tickets ahead of time?

I think the Roma Pass is an excellent way:

http://www.romapass.it/english/index.html

20 euros for 2 sites/museums & free ATAC transport for 3 days & discounts for other museums tours and events.

United States
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to buy Colosseum tickets ahead of time?

But the Roma Pass is to take public transportation plus two museum entrances. We're planning to take the hop on hop off bus that will take us to all the important sites instead of trying to figure out where the public transport goes.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
512 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to buy Colosseum tickets ahead of time?

Have in mind that hop on-off bus costs 16 euros for a day! It's a bit expensive and there is no way you are going to see all hte sites in one day! It's good for an orientation tour though.

United States
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to buy Colosseum tickets ahead of time?

We are planning to take the bus two days. One day we are dedicating it to the Vatican and surrounding area within walking distance. The other two days to see everything else we can fit into those two days. The bus will help us get from one end to the other.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
512 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to buy Colosseum tickets ahead of time?

32 euros in my opinion is WAY to much money to spend for transpot in 2 days! And you must walk from Spanish steps to Trevi, Pantheon and Piazza Navona anyway. If you go to http://www.atac.roma.it/ , on the left side you can see "percorsi e mappe" - click on it and you will see some pdf maps of bus routes. I printed out "Roma centro: map and used it for buses, it wasn't difficult! I know this might not work for you, I listed this link to help others that might be interested in a bus map!

Houston
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to buy Colosseum tickets ahead of time?

We used tickitaly for Colosseum tickets when we visit Rome and it was a breeze. They charge a premium, as you can skip the line (in fact you go into the line for groups to exchange your voucher) and we got our tickets within minutes. I would not recommend going to the Colosseum without a guide. There are guides with badges enroling people in their groups and so for 10 euros per person, you can get a guided tour which is well worth it. Otherwise get the audio guide for sure as else it can get quite confusing.

United States
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to buy Colosseum tickets ahead of time?

SweetMo , so you have to buy the entrance to the Colosseum and then pay for a tour or do it on your own? I just want to know so I can buy the tickets on tickitaly or if the tour includes the entrance then I'll just get one there. Thanks.