We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinatown in Rome, Is it safe area?

Bangkok, Thailand
5 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
Chinatown in Rome, Is it safe area?

Hi everybody!

I really need some suggestion please.

I'll take my parent visit rome this fall. We plan to stay in rome for 7 nights and this is our first time in rome.

I want to know if chinatown area in rome is safe place to stay? I've heard that it's close to termini and termini area is quite seedy at night, the reason we want to stay close to chinatown, I think it's easy for food (we're asian and my parents can speak chinese) and we plan to have a day trip to florence and naple, so stay nearby termini may be good chice?

Any hostel or B&B around there you stay and would recommend?

Or any suggestion about other neighborhood to stay?

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,795 posts
30 reviews
47 helpful votes
1. Re: Chinatown in Rome, Is it safe area?

I don't think Rome has a Chinatown like the ones you might see in New York or London. However, there are lots of Chinese shops and restaurants in the neighborhood called Esquilino, near Termini station.

The neighborhood is a little seedy, but it's not really unsafe. Just keep your wits about you and keep your belongings under your control at all times. Don't trust people, even Chinese people, who approach you on the street. You can answer them politely, but don't accept any bargains, or let them get too close to you.

You can look for a hotel or B&B using this web site:

http://www.venere.com

Select Rome hotels from the list of cities.

You can select the neighborhood on the left. Choose Termini-Esquilino.

Here is a cheap hotel I've stayed in near this area:

http://www.hotel-lucia.com/eng/index_en.htm

It's a clean and quiet hotel, even though it's on one of those seedy streets. The family that owns it lives on the premises. It's one of several hotels in the same building, so the sign is pretty small. It's almost as cheap as a hostel, especially if you take a room with shared bath. It has air conditioning and an elevator, which are rare in cheap hotels.

You're right that staying near the station has certain transportation advantages, and not only for trains. Many bus lines stop outside the station, and both metro lines cross there.

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
520 posts
64 reviews
78 helpful votes
2. Re: Chinatown in Rome, Is it safe area?

Crosspollinate.com also have a lot of b&b in that area--I found that some places advertise cheaper here than in other webpages--for the exact same place. In fact, I just booked a b&b (Mr Frill's)that was advertising up to 120E in 3 other agencies and 90E at crosspollinate. It is rated here in TA, and only 50M to a metro stop.

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
20,517 posts
120 reviews
258 helpful votes
3. Re: Chinatown in Rome, Is it safe area?

Is there a chinatown in Rome? I have never come across it in many visits. I admit I have not looked very hard as am very happy to eat Italian food when in Italy.

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
520 posts
64 reviews
78 helpful votes
4. Re: Chinatown in Rome, Is it safe area?

By Piazza Vittorio metro stop.

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
520 posts
64 reviews
78 helpful votes
5. Re: Chinatown in Rome, Is it safe area?

We will be travelling with my parents and they are Chinese food afficionados. I know that after 3 1/2 weeks in Italy, they will be dying for any kind of oriental food.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
6. Re: Chinatown in Rome, Is it safe area?

Safety is the last thing to worry about in Rome. Italy, in generally, is a very safe country. The two biggest problems in Rome are pickpockets and Vespas.

I've heard many times that the Termini area is "seedy". I don't know what this means. There is a lot of graffiti. However, you'll just have to get used to it since it's been a tradition in Rome for millennia, and I don't think it's going to go away any time soon.

I've never found the area to be dangerous at any hour, whether I've been alone or with my husband. I walk out to dinner at the usual Roman hour and walk back after dark without any problem, no matter where I have stayed.

I didn't know there was a Chinatown in Rome. Most of the Asian businesses I've been in have been Korean owned, even though they presented themselves as being Chinese.

You could try http://www.the-beehive.com for hostel or b&b.

malta
Level Contributor
6,397 posts
14 reviews
22 helpful votes
7. Re: Chinatown in Rome, Is it safe area?

We stayed at the hotel Moscatello in that area but the road was wide and just off Piazza V Emmanuele.

The room was very good but no breakfast is served , they have a hot drinks dispenser.

We never felt unsafe in the area , even at night.

There weren`t a number of chinese restaurants there. More shops selling chinese clothes, food etc. Also the bars and usual shops had chinese serving in them.

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,795 posts
30 reviews
47 helpful votes
8. Re: Chinatown in Rome, Is it safe area?

1BC: the area around Termini station varies a lot from block to block. As you face the front of the station, the area to your right and on the streets parallel to the station is seedier than some other blocks. There are lots of money order shops, internet phone shops, immigrants hanging around without any visible employment, prostitutes, and x-rated lingerie shops. However, I have never felt threatened there. I've stayed in the area alone, and also with my daughter.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Chinatown in Rome, Is it safe area?

Thank you very much about all of yours comments.

My parents both are over 70 years old, they really use to asian food...

beehive has already full, I'll try crosspolinate.

10. Re: Chinatown in Rome, Is it safe area?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.