We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome with a 1 year old in May

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rome with a 1 year old in May

Can anyone recommend any kid friendly hotels in Rome mid May, also is it acceptable to bring a 1 year old on some tours, vatican tours etc. Its our first time in Rome so any help greatly appreciated on vacationing with a child in this city, and any help with kid friendly restaurants also greatly appreciated.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome with a 1 year old in May

I would hope that you would not subject others on

any tour to your 1 year old or that when the little

darling starts acting like a 1 year old that you will

remove yourselves from the tour immediately. I will

be there in May hopefully we won't run into each

other. Have a good time.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome with a 1 year old in May

it would be especially bad to take a one year old on the Vatican Musuem Tour. The tour is 2 hours long and you have to stand or walk the whole time. I don't think strollers are allowed inside either. Children that age don't have the attention scan for 2 hours of abstract looking.

You should stick with less structured activites so that you can accomodate you child more easily (ie nap in afternoon, short attention scan activities).

I went to the Rome twice before I went to the Vatican Museum and saw the Sistine Chapel. In 2005/2006 the lines were jsut too long. You can put off the Vatican Msuem until your child is older.

Phila., PA
Level Contributor
307 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome with a 1 year old in May

The tours all seem pretty adult oriented, and many have age restrictions. I would definately use a child pack rather than a stroller,BTW - sidewalks are very narrow with throngs of people. There is barely enough room for two across in many places - my family (17, 15, 8) commented that we felt like a line of ducks. You are also not allowed strollers in some public buildings/churches.

new jersey
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome with a 1 year old in May

Thanks Bilmin, instead of running into you on a tour, maybe we'll be on the same flight from New York.

I appreciate the constructive comments, will have to re-think some of the tours.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome with a 1 year old in May

All comments aside, I hope you and your family have

the time of your lives in Rome. I know I will no

matter what.

western...
Level Contributor
125 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome with a 1 year old in May

My child is much older than yours, but even at age 8 I think she is too young to participate in museum tours. One activity that I am looking forward to in Rome(our trip is at the end of May)is visiting the Galleria Borghese. Besides the fact that the museum appeals greatly to me because I love sculpture, the gallery sits within a large and beautiful park, where Dad and daughter will definitely enjoy themselves while I visit the museum. I offer that as one model for a way that you might enjoy cultural sites with a child. (BTW, you must book an appointment to visit this particular museum, as it is quite small.)

Another thought is that you and your family might want to rent an apartment in Rome, rather than staying in a hotel. An apartment might offer you more room and more flexibility for all the paraphernalia and oddly-timed naps that a one-year old requires. Romecapitalapartments has gotten good recommendations on this site and form people we spoke to in planning our family's visit.

Within the last month, the NYTimes featured an article by a father who had visited Venice with his wife and year-old child. Traveling with a young child added a lot to their experience, as I recall, because Italy is a family-loving culture. The baby made introductions and friends for them that two adults could never make on their own!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,396 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome with a 1 year old in May

Italy is a very child friendly country. However, a one year old really is really a bit young for a tour. I would stick with places you can enter and exit at will. There is a lot of art in the churches of Rome, and if your child is fed up, you can go outside and go back in later.

I was in Rome with my 3-year-old granddaughter last spring, and in many places the stroller was useless. In other places it was helpful. In the parks and on the Palatine Hill, a stroller lets you walk further without the weight of the child on your shoulders. My daughter also finds the stroller very helpful in airports, because the child can nap in it. It's also useful for this reason at sidewalk cafès.

Almost any Italian restaurant is child friendly. The kitchen will usually fix up a little dish of something easy to eat, warm a bottle, or give you an extra plate so you can share your food with the child.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
912 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome with a 1 year old in May

We are traveling to Italy for 16 days in May as well - with our 2 1/2 year old son. It's unfortunate that someone would write that they hope they don't run into you because you are traveling with a young child. Perhaps we will be sitting behind them on the plane on the ride and make it more enjoyable for them while you sit next to them...LOL!

As far as Rome - I have been researching a lot of family friendly things to do since our son is 2 1/2. Check out Villa Borghese - they have a website. The even have a zoo there, small train ride, pony rides, puppet theatre, etc... We are planning on doing some tours (shorter one's) and hopefully our son will be OK. Obviously I will excuse myself if he is not cooperative. I had planned to do one tour during his nap time because he naps in his stroller all the time with no problem, however if strollers won't be permitted in some sites, I may have to rethink that. We are also visiting a few of the playgrounds in Rome besides the Colesseum and Roman Forum/Palatine Hill. The Pantheon is on our list too. If you google "Italy with kids" or "Rome with kids" you will find a few websites with accomodation and activity suggestions too (I did find some info on various websites).

For hotels - we opted for apartments for most of our trip. In Rome we selected the Navona Gallery Suites. Having a kitchenette is helpful, especially in the mornings.

Good luck with your trip...enjoy!

Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome with a 1 year old in May

Hi keano31,

I just wanted to let you know that my husband and I were in Rome with our 1 year-old son last May, and we had a fabulous time. We're heading back in June. Don't let other people's negativity make you feel apprehensive in any way.

Here are a couple of things that might be of some help to you:

It is true that strollers aren't permitted in some places, like St. Peter's and the Borghese Gallery, but I did find it useful to have one. I would recommend it (maybe a smallish, lightweight stroller). A cloth baby carrier was also useful.

As for tours, we actually did a few during our time in Italy and it wasn't much trouble, as long as you are prepared to exit if the baby gets fussy. Many places offer audioguides, which I think make a better option, giving you more flexibility. You can also take advantage of your child's naps and tour then.

As has been said already, restaurants are quite kid-friendly. We had a number of dishes made up specially for our son, without us even asking. We never had any negative experiences. Local people are friendly towards children, and in restaurants where locals actually eat, you'll often see many Italian kids dining out fairly late.

Our son loved to be out in the piazzas and especially to see other children around. The Villa Borghese gives you lots of greenspace and some things to do. Gelato was also a big hit.

We stayed in hotels that provide breakfast. This worked out great -- enough room for a little one. An apartment could be good too. I just wanted to be more "on vacation" than that. We found that hotel staff were extremely friendly and kind with our son at every hotel we stayed at in Italy.

Many people agree that Italy is a great place to travel with children, even with little ones. People there tend to be very family-oriented and actually seem to enjoy having children around. Don't hesitate! Enjoy the all the attention you'll get and the special treatment, and have a great trip!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome with a 1 year old in May

I know how that person feels that said she hoped she didn't run into the one year old, and I can sympathize. Sometimes I used to wish I wasn't traveling with my own children either.

I have two daughter who are adults now. We often traveled on a plane to florida for disneyworld, detroit and other places often when they were little. Once we went to Disneyworld whe one was 6 months old and the other was 4.5 years old.

Traveling with my older daughter when she was a toddler/preschool used to test my sanity. We went on a 10 day vacation to San Franciso when she was 3.5 years old. We were unable to return to the same restaurant twice due to embarassment. She would trip the waiters when I was trying to eat and not looking. She almost pulled the tablecloth off when the table when we were eating. She bolted off while we were eating and I had to chase her down. Traveling with my younger daughter was better than this.

Based on your question, I am assuming that this is your first child. Traveling and vacationing with children is not like what it is in your former life with adults. Often there are places you might want to go and things you might want to do that have to be delayed until a child is older