We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
130 posts
Train tickets

Hi,

I have searched the TA and I am aware that this subject has been discussed, but I want to buy some tickets and I am not sure about almost anything.

We are a party of 8 people in Rome, who would like to have a glance of Firenze in one day. So, it is clear that I should buy the ticket in Rome, but..........

is there any day return fare?

what's the difference between the trains with same travel time?

how can I get a timetable in a printable format?

Please help quickly, I am flying to Rome in two days.... OOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

canada
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Train tickets

www.trenitalia.com schedule and fares should be printable.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Train tickets

I found Ron's blog very useful:

roninrome.com/2009/…

"...is there any day return fare?"

- 2 single tickets

"...what's the difference between the trains with same travel time?"

- ha ha, my eyes are rolling??? explain please.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,781 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Train tickets

You can check trenitalia for fares and schedules.

You can buy tickets to and from Firenze for the same day. Just pick the trains and times you wish to travel. The difference in the trains is their speed. this also determines their price. The faster trains cost more while the slower trains will cost less.

Donna

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
4. Re: Train tickets

There is a difference between ES and ES AV trains that take the same amount of time an cost the same on the Rome-Florence run. The ES AV trains use newer equipment.

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,738 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Train tickets

If you have a choice between an ES and an AV, definitely choose the AV. It's a very nice train and the cars are newer than the ES cars.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
130 posts
6. Re: Train tickets

Many thanks for your answers.

Cheers

Green Bay
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
7. Re: Train tickets

If I bought a roundtrip ticket for a day trip (for example to Orvieto) are the return times set in stone? If I buy a ticket with a 4PM return, but I’d like to stay longer and there is also a 6PM return, would my ticket be good for the later train?

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Train tickets

slowtalk.com/groupee/…1

See above post by GAC.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
9. Re: Train tickets

The page that Chris has referred you to applies for trains *with seat reservations*. Most trains between Orvieto and Rome do *not* have seat reservations; they are Regionale trains.

You buy two Regionale tickets: one to go, one to come back. You can use them on any Regionale train, but not on the faster IC trains.

Chris, I've said this before: You keep giving misinformation that takes time and energy to correct. Please refrain.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Train tickets

err... the 4pm or 6pm return train is Regionale? better double check...

anyway, GAC advise for you is:

"ADVICE:... simply wait to buy the ticket when you arrive at the train station, and take the first available train for which there are reservable seats. Or, consider taking one of the super-cheap "Regionale" trains, for which seat reservations are not available."