We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
130 posts
Train tickets

Hi,

I have searched the TA and I am aware that this subject has been discussed, but I want to buy some tickets and I am not sure about almost anything.

We are a party of 8 people in Rome, who would like to have a glance of Firenze in one day. So, it is clear that I should buy the ticket in Rome, but..........

is there any day return fare?

what's the difference between the trains with same travel time?

how can I get a timetable in a printable format?

Please help quickly, I am flying to Rome in two days.... OOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Likely To Sell Out
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
82 Reviews
from US$529.10*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,287 Reviews
from US$73.10*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,187 Reviews
from US$57.70*
australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
20 reviews
11. Re: Train tickets

Rome Orveito trains are IC and Regional

The 4PM and 6PM trains from Orvieto to Rome are actually IC trains not regional and require seat reservations. The regional trains are at different times, 17:42 and the next 19:42.

Chris' link was therefore pertinent to the Rome Orvieto return question.

My advice would be buy one way tickets and come home when you are ready.

As for printable timetable cannot find one suggest screen dumping the booking page when the selections are up.

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,730 posts
29 reviews
12. Re: Train tickets

The Slow Talk site mentioned by Chris is not totally accurate, so it's better not even to read it.

Zerlina is correct. The trains on the Orvieto line are mostly regional trains, which have no reservations and the tickets can be used on any train, but they have to be validated in the little yellow machines by the tracks before boarding the train, to establish the time of travel. Most IC (InterCity) trains have *optional* reservations, but some have mandatory reservations. If you're not sure when you want to travel, buy your tickets when you're ready to travel. There's no advantage to buying any of them in advance.

I would prefer the regional train on this line, anyway. There's less than 10 minutes' difference in the journey time.

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,730 posts
29 reviews
13. Re: Train tickets

Chris, would you tell us openly and honestly how much time you've spent in Italy in your young life? I would guess not more than two weeks total, and yet you pretend to be an expert in everything.

14. Re: Train tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 August 2009, 13:05
Green Bay
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
15. Re: Train tickets

Thank you, bvlenci and zerlina. I rarely post anything, but I always read the Rome forum, and I always find your reliable and sensible advice so helpful. Thanks again.

16. Re: Train tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2010, 01:19