We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euros

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Euros

I will be coming to Rome in 2 weeks and was wondering if I should get Euros from my bank (Wells Fargo) in the states or wait until I arrive there? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
18,818 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euros

I think it simplifies things to at least have a couple of hundred euros in cash when you arrive to pay for a taxi and first small purchases. That means you don't have to track dowen an ATM immediately on arrival when you are jetlagged and burdened with luggage.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,132 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euros

I have a different opinion which makes the world go round. I always wait until I reach my destination and purchase Euros from the airport ATM. I have always found them to be close to the luggage pick-up. Happy travels!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
89 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Euros

I buy euros before i leave the U.S. Never buy currency from the airport, you will have a higher exchange rate. Buy as many euros as you can if you feel comfortable with cash on you. Avoid ATMs if you can they have higher rates and fees. It is ok to use your credit or debit card for purchases because the exchange rate is lower.

Maryland
Level Contributor
420 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Euros

I believe the general recommendation on this site for someone from the US is to use the ATMs when you get to Italy.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k47380…

I have a checking account at TD Bank which only charges $2 per transaction and no percentage. I might still bring some Euros with me but definitely will be using the ATMs to get most of my cash.

California
Level Contributor
124 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Euros

I am getting enough euros from Wells Fargo to pay for my cab, apt and dinner. Then I plan on finding an ATM next day to get my spending money. The last thing I want to do when I arrive in Rome is to worry about finding an ATM.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,608 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Euros

I alwas get mine from the bank that takes your card, have alwas heard they have the best rate, and yes never from the airport, good luck and have fun. Hubie

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
18,818 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Euros

ATMs at the airport are not the same as airport exchange buraeaux that do have real rip-off rates. Even allowing for fees (transaction fee and currency loading percentage) you will probably still get a better rate from an ATM than changing money even at a bank.

But I still recommend bringing some cash so you don't have to worry about the security of your luggage while you use the ATM at the airport. Thefts of luggage in airport terminals are not unknown after all..

Using an ATM at a bank during bank opening hours is another tip, if your card gets swallowed it's simpler to deal with the problem.

Check what your bank charges for debit and credit-card use as well as for ATM transactions, as it varies from bank to bank.

Many ATMs have a maximum withdrawal (often 300€), your card may well have a maximum daily or weekly limit also.

Edited: 02 September 2011, 17:36
nyc
Level Contributor
319 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Euros

When I landed in Rome in July, I had no euros with me. It took about 30 seconds to find an ATM at the airport. And they are everywhere in Rome and every other city in Italy.

I use Cap1 in the U.S. The fee for each transaction at an Italian ATM was a fixed $3 and the conversion rate was excellent. I was able to take out 400 euros at a time.

Yes, rates at airport conversion desks may be the worst of all. But the rates posted at shops or banks near the ATMs in Italy varied from bad to horrible. The rates from U.S. banks will be no better. If you need a few euros in your pocket to have peace of mind upon arrival, I'd limit it to 100.

Viera, Florida
Level Contributor
897 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Euros

Has anyone ever got Euros from AAA?

Southington...
Level Contributor
143 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Euros

Yes, each time I travel abroad. I get $100 worth from AAA to get me through any incidentals after landing. Cab, snack, etc. When I'm tired & jet lagged the last thing I want to do is look for an ATM.