We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too Early/Too Late/Doing Something Wrong on Trenitalia?

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Too Early/Too Late/Doing Something Wrong on Trenitalia?

Leaving Wengen , Switzerland for Rome on 7/31/12. Will buy unbooked day of travel tickets to Spiez on 7/31( Spiez the correct departure city for Rome?). Trying to book Spiez to Rome tickets and getting few choices or only evening tickets on Trenitalia. Even if I were to book these tickets the ticket pick up option is at station only and Spiez is not a pick up point. E ticket does not appear to be an option. Am I tryng to book tickets too far out or am I too late? Should I be booking on TGV/SBB instead? Help!! Last part of my trip that requires booking and I would like to complete.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too Early/Too Late/Doing Something Wrong on Trenitalia?

Very possibly you're too early - availability only until about 8th June on some routes at present!

Peter

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Too Early/Too Late/Doing Something Wrong on Trenitalia?

Whatever you do, do not buy tickets from Spiez into Italy from trenitalia, as these tickets must always be picked up from a ticket machine in an Italian train station.

You must buy from http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html and pick up your tickets from a Swiss train station. It will still probably be too early.

It may be cheaper to buy Spiez-Milan from sbb and Milan-Rome 'ticketless' from trenitalia, but make sure to allow a reasonable connection time in Milan if you do this.

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Too Early/Too Late/Doing Something Wrong on Trenitalia?

Perilizia

Looks like I can book Spiez to Milan now on SBB. Milan to Rome not open yet on Trenitalia. Are there many trains from Milan to Rome that a prebooking is not necessary? Would like to prebook anyway. How much time should I allow arriving Milan to departure from Milan - 1 hour? Thanks all!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Too Early/Too Late/Doing Something Wrong on Trenitalia?

There are around 70 high-speed trains a day direct from Milan to Rome, though maybe half a dozen fewer from 'Milano Centrale' where you arrive from Spiez.

Booking is open from there to 'Roma Termini' for your date on this trenitalia interface www.fsitaliane.it/lefrecce.html - there's an 'English' button to click.

Connection intervals are a matter of personal acceptance of risk. With an international connection, in theory your onward ticket should be exchanged without charge in the event of a delayed arrival from Spiez. But I do not know whether this is honoured for the reduced price Mini tickets.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Too Early/Too Late/Doing Something Wrong on Trenitalia?

70 was an exaggeration - it's in the high thirties for the very fastest trains.

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Too Early/Too Late/Doing Something Wrong on Trenitalia?

Thanks Perilizia. See that I can book both legs. Your Trenitalia link more user friendly then Treitalia site. Will allow for 1.5 hours between trains and have time for coffe and pastry. Thanks again!

7. Re: Too Early/Too Late/Doing Something Wrong on Trenitalia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 11:16