We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday in Rome

NYC
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Sunday in Rome

We have 5 days in Rome in early July. We have tickets for the Vatican, Ancient Rome tour (coliseum, palatine hill, Forum, Pantheon etc), and Borghese Gallery and Gardens, and a food tour covering the main fountains and Piazzas in Centro Storico. At the moment, our Sunday is open. I was thinking of exploring Trastevere and the Ghetto, but I'm open to suggestions. Any advice for an open Sunday in Rome?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45,640 posts
1. Re: Sunday in Rome

Depends on your interests - your guidebook has hundreds of options - look those over and see which appeal to you otherwise your current plan sounds fine; just having a wander through Rome is very interesting and satisfying. You don't need it planned down to the tee - just go, with map in hand and enjoy it.

NYC
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Sunday in Rome

Thanks, I do love to wander--just wondering if there's anything folks loved from their trips that I am missing. Anything off the beaten path--for example when I was in Venice the Peggy Guggenheim Museum was one of my favorites, and a lot of people miss that one...

Edited: 04 June 2015, 13:37
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
74 reviews
3. Re: Sunday in Rome

Wandering is great. I also enjoyed visiting the crypts & catacombs. Highly recommend that. We stayed in Trastevere and it's a great area to explore.

San Clemente basilica is also very fascinating... there's 4 centuries of history there, one on top of another. Even if churches are not your thing, this one is a really neat place to visit.

http://basilicasanclemente.com/eng/

Waltham...
Level Contributor
375 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: Sunday in Rome

get a map from your hotel and walk and get lost. there are surprises around every corner.although I do prefer trestevere

NYC
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Sunday in Rome

Thank you Cathy 270--exactly what I'm looking for!

Edited: 04 June 2015, 17:52
Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Sunday in Rome

I second San Clemente. But would also suggest the appian way and / or aqueduct park - 2 of my favourite places in rome. What about the baths of Caracalla? Or a tour of the Domus aurea...?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Sunday in Rome

One really hot ticket (and they might be sold out) is the underground Domus Aurea, built by Nero. Tours are only on Saturdays and Sundays. It's very chilly even on the hottest days, so wear long pants and bring a sweater if you do get in.

www.coopculture.it/en/heritage.cfm?id=51

Another off-the-beaten-path option is the Domus Romane, a very well done multi-media exhibit in an ancient Roman home.

www.palazzovalentini.it/index.php?lang=eng

Edited: 04 June 2015, 18:45
NYC
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Sunday in Rome

Thank you--those are all new to me and sound fascinating!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
7,044 posts
729 reviews
9. Re: Sunday in Rome

Trastevere and the old Jewish Quarter are very worthwhile. In the Ghetto, make sure to see the lovely Turtle Fountain in Piazza Mattei. Several good kosher restaurants and a fabulous biscotti store (I mean really, really addictive!) -- tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d3…

Here's a very good article about the area: nytimes.com/2013/…

Trastevere is large, you can spend hours there, wandering, sipping a glass of wine, watching the world go by. The church of Santa Cecilia is favorite: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187791-d1… On the same piazza is Roma Sparita where they make a cacio e pepe in a fried parmesan bowl - tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d1… San Francesco a Ripa has a marvelous Bernini statue, Beata Ludovica Albertoni -- comparable to his more famous Ecstasy of Saint Teresa. The church of Santa Maria in Trastevere has beautiful mosaics ...

Edited: 04 June 2015, 20:58
NYC
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Sunday in Rome

Great resources--thank you!