We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque terre and the gulf of poets-how to organize?

Orange County
14 posts
Save Topic
Cinque terre and the gulf of poets-how to organize?

Good Day-

My family (consisting of our 4 year old son and 6 month old) and I are going to be in tuscany for a wedding in early october and have 2 weeks following to travel. We are thinking of going to Cinque Terre and then exploring Lerici, San Terenzo, Fiascherino, Tellaro and Portovenere.

We are not sure what is the best way to organize the trip with what mode of travel. Will the ferry be running in October? Since most of these towns don't allow cars could we do it all without a car? We would like to stay in apartment yet have not decided which cities to stay in.

We like to enjoy our time and really get a feel for the culture and love nature! Our son would love riding trains and ferries, and we would just have to carry all the cargo!

Thank you for your time!

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinque terre and the gulf of poets-how to organize?

with the human luggage in tow i think it would be wise to pick the line of least resistence.

Cinque towns are interactive so perhaps Lerici would be best.

Take the boat trip to portovenere .....then after on to the cinque villages.

possible to walk the Riomaggiore to Manarola with the kids....train to vernazza.....train to Monterosso....... Perhaps train back to la spezia and bus back to lerici.

Another good day could be to go to Levanto.....or camogli......Positano.

BUT its how tenacious you wish to be and if the flow is good then Il Traino is the way to go.

Alternatively Levanto enables you to do the same in a reverse way but has the option of a well settled town to back up the downtimes.

Edited: 12 September 2011, 01:34
Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinque terre and the gulf of poets-how to organize?

Where will you be flying in and out of? The area you are thinking about really lends itself best to having a car to get around from a fixed base. The CT villages are best visited by train and the ferries will probably be still running from them in early Oct. So could have a second base somewhere near them but it depends which airport you are proposing to travel back from.

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinque terre and the gulf of poets-how to organize?

Lerici would be the perfect base, there is a good choice of hotels. The ferry or bus goes from here to Fiascherino, and Tellaro and a different ferry to Portovenere where you can change boats for the Cinque Terre. San Terenzo is also an easy walk or 5 mins on the bus. You can also take the bus to La Spezia or Sarzana where you feed into the train system.

Orange County
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinque terre and the gulf of poets-how to organize?

Great help-thank you! We fly in and out of florence. We get in Oct 8th and will start our travels the 12th. We fly out October 20th.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinque terre and the gulf of poets-how to organize?

Since you will be flying out fro Florence no point in changing your base from Lerica as recommended.

For a trip to the Cinque Terre use the ferry via Portovenere, you can get off there have a look around and then catch the next boat to the Cinque Terre villages. Suggest you go all the way to Monterosso and then work your way between villages by train, catching the return ferry from one of later ones. Nice flat path from Manarola to last village at Riomaggiore, about 20 mins walk.

Ferry Times

…computernopanic.com/USER_CONTENT/49/pdf/tra…

Some pics

http://tinyurl.com/Cinque-Terre-Pics

http://tinyurl.com/Portovenere-Pics

Edited: 12 September 2011, 11:10
London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cinque terre and the gulf of poets-how to organize?

I contacted a boat company there, and it is only 27 euro to go by boat from la spezia to all of the 5 terre, and you can get off and on whenever you wish. I chose this option as I thought it would be nicer scenery going from one town to the next and I have a bad back, and walking between towns will be difficult...however, I intend on walking the track between riomaggiore and manarola. I will be there the week before yourself, have fun...isn't it exciting!!!!

Orange County
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cinque terre and the gulf of poets-how to organize?

Great thank you!!! Hopefully 2 weeks won't be to long of a time frame for this area. Looking forward to it.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cinque terre and the gulf of poets-how to organize?

Gee with 2 weeks to play with ..... I would look at a trip to maybe Pisa....Carrara....perhaps Lucca to the South and to Portofino...Levanto....Camogli in the North

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cinque terre and the gulf of poets-how to organize?

It would be worth considering hiring a car for some of the period in order to get to some of the places within reach of Lerica as day trips.

Orange County
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cinque terre and the gulf of poets-how to organize?

Wonderful! with all the suggestions we are thiniking of being based out of Lerici. We don't mind driving from florence if that would make things easier...if not would it be easy to rent/hire a car with car seats in Lerici without reservations to explore the surrinding villages if we have extra days? Thank you again!

Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre