We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque Terre Sept 2013,stay in Cinque Terre or Levanto?

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Topic
Cinque Terre Sept 2013,stay in Cinque Terre or Levanto?

Hi All

I have recently started planning a rip to Cinque Terre & I have read that Levanto is better to stay at than one of the villages. Do you think this is right or is it better to stay in one of the villages & if so which village would you recommend.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,284 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinque Terre Sept 2013,stay in Cinque Terre or Levanto?

Levanto is a larger town just north of the 5T. It has a beach, some old sections worth exploring and quite a number of hotels and restaurants. One can begin the walks to the 5T from there if you like and certainly catch the train to the other towns. It is a popular family destination and we enjoyed staying there.

Levanto is much easier if you are driving, is generally more accessible by car and you can get around with fewer steps.

But it is not one of the "Five Lands". These are small villages with some accommodation, lots of cafes etc but apart from charm, little else.

It is really up to you which one you stay in.

From our blog

…blogspot.com.au/2009/09/relaxation-at-beach…

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinque Terre Sept 2013,stay in Cinque Terre or Levanto?

I'd choose Levanto. Levanto is a pretty place where real Italians live, yet CT can be visited easily.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinque Terre Sept 2013,stay in Cinque Terre or Levanto?

Real Italians live in the Cinque Terre as well...

Levanto is a gorgeous little town - it's much larger then any of the CT villages, about 6-7,000. It's a short train from the CT and you can sometimes find cheaper accommodations, but yes, it does lack a bit of the charm of staying in the villages, especially at night, when the day-trippers and tourists filter out, and the streets empty - the villages have a special feel. If you wanted to stay in a village and get the feel of a charming seaside town with more modern amenities, Monterosso is a great choice with beautiful beaches. If you want something much smaller, Manarola is charming, lovely and very typical (and quiet).

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinque Terre Sept 2013,stay in Cinque Terre or Levanto?

I have found that almost all of the towns of the Italian Riviera are charming at night. There are only a handful that do not have exceptionally pretty historic centers and fantastic sunsets, and atmospheric strolls along a seafront, especially when the moon is out. (In fact, one of the things the 5 villages of le Cinque Terre lack is places to stroll by the sea, except the nearly always busy via dell'Amore).

For me, in addition to wanting an escape for the many, many tourists in the le Cinque Terre towns, a big consideration would be whether anybody in my traveling party was uncomfortable constantly walking up and down hill. There is very little flat terrain inside le Cinque Terre. Sometimes older people find it very wearisome. Sometimes kids get sick of it, especially if it is very hot. if you are thinking of a somewhat lengthy stay in an apartment where you can cook, hauling groceries around le Cinque Terre takes the right attitude!

But for some people, there really is no substitute for what they consider the main attraction and main destination. Others also really enjoy socializing with fellow travelers and making new friends. If you chose the Riviera because you would like to really relax, swim, stroll, enjoy the views, the sweet smells, eat great Italian food in enchating small towns -- than to me, le Cinque Terre is one option with some advantages for hikers and socializers, but the rest of the Riviera has more things that appeal to me.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 06:33
Sandefjord, Norway
Level Contributor
722 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinque Terre Sept 2013,stay in Cinque Terre or Levanto?

I second the opinion of cm28 - Monterosso is a good choice, and you get a different feel for the village/area in the evening when daytrippers have left - and the place is more quiet. I have done both daytrips and overnight stays to both Monterosso and other of the CT villages, and will really recommend to stay there overnight.

6. Re: Cinque Terre Sept 2013,stay in Cinque Terre or Levanto?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 00:42