We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miasino - how long a walk to Orta San Giulio?

Lugano, Switzerland
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Miasino - how long a walk to Orta San Giulio?

I'm planning to spend a couple of nights at Lake Orta in early August. Currently looking for a place to stay and the two best options for my budget are both in Miasino, described by one of the B&Bs as "a 5 minute drive from Orta San Giulio". I'm arriving by train so no car. Could someone tell me realistically how long a walk this is? It doesn't sound that far, and I do like to walk, but don't want to find I'm much further away from the town and lake than is enjoyable for such a short stay.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Lake Orta
Lake Orta
2,031 Reviews
Orta San Giulio, Italy
Orta San Giulio
Orta San Giulio
Province of Novara, Italy
5 replies to this topic
England, United...
Level Contributor
9,665 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miasino - how long a walk to Orta San Giulio?

I found the following information for you by googling "Miasino to Orta San Giulio walk".

You should double check for yourself though, just in case as the information below assumes the station as your starting point and I don't know the location of your hotel.

You could walk from Miasino to Orta San Giulio, but you would be walking in the road until you reached a pavement closer to town. The distance from the railway station is about a mile. There are sometimes taxis at Orta-Miasino station, or ask in the station bar to book you a taxi.

Directions from the station: Turn left and then left again at the end. Pass under the railway bridge and walk down to the roundabout (cross on the right at the zebra). Straight over the roundabout. Turn left after the Villa Crespi, and keep going (as you round the corner, this is the nicest bit and by far the best way to arrive in Orta!).

Mentioned in this post
Orta San Giulio
Orta San Giulio
Province of Novara, Italy
Lugano, Switzerland
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miasino - how long a walk to Orta San Giulio?

Thanks for the helpful response, Pamjo!

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miasino - how long a walk to Orta San Giulio?

It all depends on where the B&B is.

From the train station to Orta town it's about 25 mins' walk. But the village of Miasino itself is further up the hill, it could be 40/45 mins. If you're closer to the Villa Crespi area then it will be a bit less.

Walk from the station is doable, though it is on a busy main road with no footpaths for the most part. You could go left after villa Crespi and take in the sacro monte (a hill with chapels at intervals depicting scenes from the bible). There a tour bus / car park here and you just follow the signs. Alternatively keep left and the road will bring you around the bottom of the hill and into Orta from the southern side.

If you want a taxi you will need to prebook as there aren't that many serving the area and Its not a given that there will be any at the station.

Ask the B&B owner, they should be able to organise this or at least give you the contact numbers.

Edited: 14 July 2017, 03:03
Mentioned in this post
Villa Crespi
Villa Crespi
1,106 Reviews
Orta San Giulio, Italy
Lugano, Switzerland
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miasino - how long a walk to Orta San Giulio?

Thank you - this is so helpful. I've now located the station on the map and can see that the places are both further away from the town. The main one is Lavanda e Rosmarino on Via Martelli so looks like that would be quite a walk. I may look for somewhere closer.

Thanks again to both!

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miasino - how long a walk to Orta San Giulio?

Agree - would have another look at Orta town.

While the B&B looks beautiful, its position is kind of isolated and you will struggle without a car - you could end up spending what you've saved on accommodation on taxi fares instead!

Reply to: Miasino - how long a walk to Orta San Giulio?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Orta San Giulio