We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting early September

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting early September

Can anyone help with information on the weather expected in early September as I have no idea what clothing to pack? Also any must do's for the area (will have a car). Was thinking boat to island and maybe over to stresa for cable car. Any help greatly appreciated .

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting early September

Hi. We were there in Sept. a few years ago and the weather was warm and sunny. Some great restaurants in the town - don't remember their names but just be adventurous and give one a try. Definitely take the small passenger ferry to the island and walk around. One of our favourite towns - hope you enjoy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting early September

Thank you

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting early September

September is a great time to visit, it's still warm and sunny but the worst of the summer heat is gone, as are the thunderstorms typical of end August.

Do bring a coverup for the evenings as it can get a bit chilly.

In Orta see the town and get the ferry to the island, there's also the Sacro Monte to visit.

If you have a car there is so much you can do. The drive along the east side of the lake is lovely and you can explore the surrounding villages.

There's Stresa and the Borromeo islands, the garden at villa Taranto, the cable car to Mottarone (or you can drive up), the alpine garden nearby. Further up the lake there's Cannonbio.

You can also explore the mountains, Val Strona, Val Sesia, Val D'Ossola.

You can take a day trip to Switzerland either through the Simplon pass or lake maggiore.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting early September

Thank you so much this is very useful as I had checked the weather and seen the storms and was a bit concerned! Will also check out your suggestions. One other question .... I am one of those people that always gets bitten so is that an issue in this area? In Tuscany I got the worse bites i have had in a long time but know regions can vary .

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting early September

Not as bad as in other locations, but still a possibility in early September.

Would reccomebd Autan replant which you can buy locally in the pharmacy - there's one in the main square.

6. Re: Visiting early September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2018, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Orta San Giulio