We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orta san Giulio in September - itinery help and other things

1 post
Save Topic
Orta san Giulio in September - itinery help and other things

Hi there. I am planning 3 nights in Milan and then travelling by train to stay in Orta san Giulio in mid September. My wife and I love history, walking, visiting sights etc....we love the idea of walking around parts of the lake and hopping on and off boats to see places..... and I am wondering if there is enough to keep us in Orta san Giulio for 6 nights or if we should stay on one of the larger lakes. We do love the peace and quiet ...hence our attraction to Orta, but will there be enough to see on the lake using the ferries ? Also is it easy to get across to lake Maggiore ? I have heard there is a bus to Stresa, but how frequent is it and would it go early enough in the morning for us to enjoy a full day on lake Maggiore ? any thoughts please ?

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Stresa
Stresa
Lake Maggiore, Italy
Lake Maggiore
Lake Maggiore
Piedmont, Italy
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,627 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Orta san Giulio in September - itinery help and other things

The direct bus between Stresa and Orta San Giulio is summer-only and ends on September 11 safduemila.com/files/2016.8.8-9.11-stresa-al… - and anyway the first departure from Orta San Giulio is quite late.

While it is still possible to reach lake Maggiore by train with a change of train or by bus with a change of bus, these journeys are rather slow.

You might find it eaasier to rent a car for a few days, especially as travel from Orta San Giulio to airports is usually rather slow by public transport.

Edited: 11 August 2016, 10:57
Mentioned in this post
Stresa
Stresa
Lake Maggiore, Italy
Orta San Giulio
Orta San Giulio
Province of Novara, Italy
Lake Maggiore
Lake Maggiore
Piedmont, Italy
rochester, kent
Level Contributor
68 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orta san Giulio in September - itinery help and other things

Just to follow up on this, in case anyone else looks into getting from Orta to Stresa - it is not difficult at all by train - you can travel for 5 euros and it takes 1.25 hours

Mentioned in this post
Stresa
Stresa
Lake Maggiore, Italy
Portsmouth
Level Contributor
52 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orta san Giulio in September - itinery help and other things

We have just spent 7 days. It was real chill out and a beautiful place. You can easier get around the lake and the ferry is cheap.

It is not that easy to get to by public transport. We did it one way but opted for a taxi back (80 euros). Have a look at my reviews and 7 days at Santa Catrinia.

4. Re: Orta san Giulio in September - itinery help and other things

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2017, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Orta San Giulio