We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time for skiing Cervinia / Zermatt DEC or Late FEB?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best time for skiing Cervinia / Zermatt DEC or Late FEB?

Can someone give me insight on when would be the BEST time to ski this area? We are good skiers / snowboarders and want to make the best of it. It’s a LONG way from the states, and I see lots of posts about wind/weather...which I expect to some degree in the Mountains...hey I ski Mammoth..home of the wind.. but I don’t want to be shut in for a week... so in your opinion.... Xmas time or late FEB????

Grazie!!

2 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time for skiing Cervinia / Zermatt DEC or Late FEB?

Your chances of good snow (depth/quality) are going to be higher in Feb than Dec, although Cervinia is pretty snow sure so even in Dec you stand a good chance of decent snow. (I just got back and the snow in town is piled higher than my head, but I think this was an unusual year.)

Unless another poster thinks that wind closure risk is worse in Feb than Dec, I would pick late Feb. (Maybe I have been lucky, but I have spent 4 separate weeks in Cervinia and I don't remember a single day when winds were so bad they closed the lifts, though there were a few days when they closed the crossing to Zermatt.)

Mentioned in this post
Zermatt
Zermatt
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time for skiing Cervinia / Zermatt DEC or Late FEB?

Thx so much! I guess it’s like anywhere.. Dec is always iffy! Thx for the feedback!

Reply to: Best time for skiing Cervinia / Zermatt DEC or Late FEB?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted