We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Venice next week on a shoe string!!

NORTH DEVON
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Venice next week on a shoe string!!

Staying in San Polo district anyone any suggestions of free things to visit & inexpensive cafes?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,535 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Venice next week on a shoe string!!

Free things to do, depends what you want it cost's nothing to take in the atmosphere of this unique City,

Venice is an expensive City but shop around it does not cost a fortune, , San Polo is a lovely area,

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Venice next week on a shoe string!!

There are menus posted outside of all restaurants and San Polo is a great area for inexpensive meals.

The greatest thing about Venice is it is very compact and walkable and the best way to get to know Venice. You will make a new discovery around every corner. You can take an early morning walk to the Rialto Market and then over the Rialto Bridge. There is no admission into St. Marks. I love the views from the Rialto Bridge, Accademia Bridge and from the Salute vaporetto stop. I enjoy just relaxing on a bench in a square and watching the daily activity. Although a vaporetto ride is 6.5 euro it is well worth it for the ride down the Grand Canal.

You really needn't spend much money to enjoy Venice!

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,184 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Venice next week on a shoe string!!

As Sophie says you cant beat the atmoshpere and thats free. A lot of free churches around, and piazza's. Get panini on the go for around 3 euros for lunch, or shop at the market stalls for fresh fruit and veg. I travel regularly to Venice on a shoestring and often come back with a few euros saved for my next visit. And go off the beaten path for restaurants, don't eat in San Marco square or near other tourist sites. Brek restaurant and Ae Oche pizzaria on Lista di Spagna are very reasonable.

Jess

4. Re: Visiting Venice next week on a shoe string!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 03:21