We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a Car in Venice

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
35 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a Car in Venice

Is renting a car to leave Venice advisable? After a few days in Venice, we want to explore the areas around Milan, Genoa and Florence in 2-3 days. There are 4 adults and I'm not sure which of these ideas is best:

1. Pickup car in Venice, drop off in Rome

2. Train to a central town (Parma? Siena?) from Venice, pickup car and train to Rome

3. Pickup car in Venice, drop off in a central town and train to Rome

4. Train the whole way

I'm mostly concerned about finding the car rental sites in the cities. Some of the car rental agencies list several per city and I don't know which to choose from. My wife has been to Rome and doesn't advise driving there.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Parma
Parma
Province of Parma, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a Car in Venice

Certainly Italy is well served by trains. However we have rented a cars several times in Piazzale Roma upon leaving Venice. We drove to Lake Garda and Florence. Before we arrived in Florence we stayed at Prata which is just outside of Florence. We had a very difficult time finding the hotel and ended up in a pedestrian only area. After hours,and now it is getting dark, of driving I finally hired a taxi to lead the way to the hotel with us following. Being a taxi driver he drove like most cabbies do and I had to go so fast to keep up with him including going thru several red lights. Driving into Florence was a bit of a nightmare but we made it. We decided to return the car right away as hotel parking fees were totally out of sight. We managed to find the car rental return office without too much trouble. We forgot to fill the gas tank and they advised us to go back out and fill it up as there was a very high fee if we did not in addition to the charge for the price of the gas. We also drove from Piazzale Roma to Genoa (lovely city) with no problem except when we arrived into the heart of Genoa we had the darndest time to find the hotel. We returned the car after checking into hotel. The rental return office was some distance and so we hired a taxi to lead us to the office and then to take us back to our hotel. All in all I think the train is a good way to go unless you want to travel some back roads or out of the way places.

Mentioned in this post
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
26 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,918 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a Car in Venice

If you are going to be staying in the centres of Venice, Milan, Genoa, Florence, and Rome, you should travel by train. A car is nothing but a nuisance in the centre of a major Italian city: parking is hard to find and expensive, and it is easy to stray into a prohibited zone and incur a large fine.

However, if you intend to travel from Venice to Rome, staying in smaller towns and taking day trips into the cities (which I recommend), then a car would be a very good idea. Pick up from Piazzale Roma in Venice, drop off at Rome FCO Airport.

If you go to the rental companies' sites, they have a little map for each office showing its location. Or you could copy an office's address and paste it into maps.google.com for an even better view. Check out

www.europcar.it

www.hertz.it

www.avisautonoleggio.it

Mentioned in this post
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
26 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Florence
Florence
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
35 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a Car in Venice

None of the companies seem to be mentioning or allowing for insurance in the rates. When I was in Ireland last summer, this nearly doubled the rate I had reserved, but at least I was expecting it. What can I expect here?

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,918 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a Car in Venice

Insurance is not mentioned because it is included in the way I stated. You need to read the rental terms and conditions. If you can't find them in English, use translate.google.com

5. Re: Renting a Car in Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 13:21