We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basilica San Marco Info

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Basilica San Marco Info

Hi all, just after some info on visiting Basilica San Marco in late July. Could someone clarify the different areas inside the basilica and their entry fees? The 1 eur online reservation states timeslots of 10min - seems like a very small margin to enter in. Can you stay as long as you like after entering?

The website states that there is a free tour offered at 11am, meeting in the atrium. Has anyone done this before, and if so how is it and does it cover any of the separately ticketed areas or just the free areas of the basilica?

Lastly, has anybody done the "St Mark’s Museum and Cathedral from above" (15 eur) or "St Mark’s Cathedral and its Treasures" (16 eur) tours, as offered on Veneto Inside (www.venetoinside.com/en/saint_mark_s_basilica)?

Cheers,

Errol

Sydney
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basilica San Marco Info

Anybody?

UK
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basilica San Marco Info

I've never made the reservation. It may be this 10 minute slot that gives some people the idea that you're only allowed 10 minutes to see the Basilica (not true - you can take as long as you like). There are three places inside which you can pay to see. They were 3€ each (I think) when I went a couple of years ago. The essential one is the museum (upstairs, on the right, before you enter the Basilica proper, by which I mean the nave of the church) where you can see the original quadriga that used to be outside, and you can go out onto the balcony. Optional are the Pala d'Oro and the Treasury. The 11 a.m. guided tour is excellent, but you need to make sure you go on the right day for your language (unless your Italian is good). The reservation is not necessary as you can skip the line by taking a bag to the bag depository (signposted) then showing the token you get for your bag to the official at the head of the line.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basilica San Marco Info

the 11 time slot is also good as you will probably be there when the lights go on which IMO is quite spectacular....

I have only paid the fee to go upstairs so I don't really know about the other areas...and the first time I went I did not do it and found it difficult to try to pay after I saw the inside...so the next time I paid at the entrance and then went upstairs....hope this helps

4. Re: Basilica San Marco Info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 13:41