We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late flight into Cagliari airport, stay in Cagliari?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Late flight into Cagliari airport, stay in Cagliari?

We are planning on flying in from Naples in May, but unfortunately, the only direct flight lands in Cagliari around 10pm. We haven't finalized which hotel we are staying at yet, but I am leaning towards either Il Castello (2 hours away) or Hotel Villa del Re (1 hour away). Both hotels are fairly expensive and I don't want to pay for a whole day/night and not arrive at the hotel until midnight. Would it be worth it to stay in Cagliari the night we arrive? We want a relaxing beach vacation but also want to do a little bit of exploring. Is it worth staying in Cagliari that first night and exploring the surrounding area our first day there, then heading to the resort in the late afternoon? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Toronto
Level Contributor
2 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late flight into Cagliari airport, stay in Cagliari?

I would recommend you not go to the expensive far-away hotel that first night. By the time the flight lands, you get off the plane, get your bags and organize ground transportation, it's going to be closer to midnight. I would not want to drive in Cagliari at that time after just having landed, jet-lagged and tired.

If I were you, I'd stay the night in a little B&B in the city of Cagliari and then spend the next half day to explore the city. It is small and accessible by foot and very quaint. There are many restaurants and shops to explore for the day. Try to stay close to Via Roma and you'll be close to all the major attractions.

I hope this helps!

London
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late flight into Cagliari airport, stay in Cagliari?

I would suggest you book a night in Cagliari, preferably with a 24 hour receptioned hotel that offers a shuttle. That way you just collect your luggage and go straight to the hotel. You could then return to the airport the following day to collect a car - saving 1 days hire and the trauma of problems if your flight is delayed.

I have no knowledge of this place, but it looks perfect, so long as the price is not ridiculous tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187881-d2374…

Sardinia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Late flight into Cagliari airport, stay in Cagliari?

I would stay that first night in Cagliari too. Restaurants there tend to start/finish later than the rest of the island so despite the 10pm arrival, you should still have time to get checked in to your hotel - try & get one in the Marina district - and get a bite out somewhere.

Furthermore the coastal scenery en route to Hotel Villa del Re is quite spectacular, well worth saving until daytime. Indeed , to maximise the views I would take the longer slower old road that goes around the coast via Solanas, Villasimius etc to get there - either way is more likely to be nearer 2 than your stated one hour though. I don't know where il Castello is.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late flight into Cagliari airport, stay in Cagliari?

thank you everyone for your responses! I will definitely do as all suggest and just stay in Cagliari that first night. looking forward to it!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late flight into Cagliari airport, stay in Cagliari?

thank you everyone for your responses! I will definitely do as all suggest and just stay in Cagliari that first night. looking forward to it!!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late flight into Cagliari airport, stay in Cagliari?

The Hotel Due Colonne in the Marina District has gotten good reviews:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187881-d111580…

Do spend at least half a day in Cagliari to tour the city and visit its churches and the wonderful Archeological Museum. It is a very worthwhile regional capital to get to know.

7. Re: Late flight into Cagliari airport, stay in Cagliari?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2016, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about Cagliari
Recent Conversations