We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo in Sicily

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
47 reviews
Solo in Sicily

Hi Tripadvisors

I will be in Italy for 3-4 weeks in August and would appreciate some tips for a solo female traveller. My starting point is Sorrento where I will stay for 7 nights and explore Pompeii, Capri, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello and then Sicily and Sardinia.

The purpose of my trip is to explore the culture, food, sites, swim and practise yoga. I'm concerned about driving on mountainous roads so I will be using public transport throughout my trip, which doesn't pose any problems - except for Sundays of course.

I've read lots of posts and reviews about Sicily, which makes it even harder to decide on where to stay. I could split 14-20 days between Palermo, Catania and surrounding or just choose one destination and then move on to Sardinia.

I would like to know:

Which town has the best (fewest changes/reliable) transport links to sites and beaches?

Which town has solo friendly restaurants (some reviews suggest it might be difficult getting solo dinner reservation in high season)?

Which town has the cleanest beaches for swimming i.e. Cefalu or Taormina.

Can you recommend any hostels or budget B&Bs that do not charge single supplement?

Where can I do yoga classes?

Any other advice or suggestions is also much appreciated.

Many thanks

modica
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Solo in Sicily

Bear in mind that high summer means that most classes/schools etc are closed, so it may not be easy finding a yoga class - unless there's one on a beach somewhere. There is a Scottish lady in Noto who teachs yoga that I know of.

For eating you will be fine unless you want to eat at peak times. I have travelled solo for years, and if you eat early there is rarely a problem. Wait until 9/10 pm and it will be more difficult.

As a solo female you will be fine in Sicily as long as you are sensible. You will have possibly more problem round Naples - if you are using the circumvesuviana to go to pompei/Sorrento etc, you may well have some uwanted attention on the train - try and latch on to a group if you can.

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Solo in Sicily

Thanks for your advice. I will probably take the bus to Sorrento. Yoga classes will be easier to locate once I arrive in Sicily but always open to recommendations. Decided to spend a few days in Palermo, taking day trips to San Vito Capo and Mondello and then heading to Cefalu and finally Taormina and the Aeolians.

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Solo in Sicily

I would suggest to add at least a few days in Siracusa, an highlight in Sicily, surely rewarding.

4. Re: Solo in Sicily

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 01:15