We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed with public transport

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Advice needed with public transport

I'm looking for some help and advice for our holiday to Tropea and Taormina in July. We've decided against hiring a car having read in several forum posts for Tropea, Taormina and Palermo that a car can be more hassle than its work. We will therefore be relying on buses, trains and ferries instead. I know this question has been asked and answered many, many, many times before but I'm looking for some simple advice and guidance.

1: route 1 - journey from Tropea (staying at Il Convento) to Taormina (staying in Hotel Villa Fiorita)....... any feedback on either of these would be great too)

Should we take the train from Tropea right through to Taormina or would you recommend getting off at Messina and getting the bus. We are looking for the easiest, fastest most stress-free route. We are not fluent in Italian so are a little scared when I see timetables with several connections and changes (what if we get on the wrong train. Eek :-)) What would happen if we missed a connection?

2 : route 2 - journey from Taormina to Palermo (staying at the Eurostars Centrale for 1 night before taking a hotel transfer to the airport)

Again ... should we take the train or bus? the fastest route would be great as with one night only in Palermo we would like to see a little of the city and not spend hours travelling. If there isn't much difference between train and bus travel times, a route that is scenic would be lovely.

I realise the summer schedules have not been released yet but I'm having trouble with navigating the English version of the Interbus website to get some ideas of times. Even with entering a departure date for next week, it flags up "Access denied".

Any help or advice from either Vagabond or a traveller who has had experience of travelling these routes would be great

Thank you

8 replies to this topic
modica
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Advice needed with public transport

Take the train right through to Taormina from Tropea. Book your seats in advance.

From Taormina to Palermo will require a change be it on the train or the bus. Either change in Messina or Catania.

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
2. Re: Advice needed with public transport

I did the following journey from tropea to Taormina in June 2018.

Book tickets on the trentalia website and book seats.

Train from tropea to lamezia terme

Intercity from lamezia terme to Taormina direct, the train is split in 2 at the straits of Messina put on a ferry. At Messina one part of the train goes to Taormina and the other to Palermo

You stay on the train through the whole journey.

Booking the tickets and seats on the trentalia website will put you in the right coach to be on the right train that goes to Taormina from Messina.

There are 2 trains direct a day to Taormina otherwise you will have to get regional trains from tropea and get a ferry to Messina.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,816 posts
3. Re: Advice needed with public transport

Yes, take the train from Tropea to Taormina, and then the train would load on the ferry.

Take a bus or the local service from the train station up to Taormina.

Everyone is helpful, and just ask.

Be sure your train is heading to Taormina from Messina, and not dividing and heading to the northern coast.

On your own -Amalfi coast to Sicily:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194863-i286-k3990…

Just ask!

Take Interbus from Taormina to Aeroporto Catania, and then take the direct SAIS Autolinee direct bus to Taormina, and do yourself a favour and taxi from Palermo Centrale to your hotel.

Your hotel is located in a great pedestrian zone, and so enjoy your limited time in Palermo. See the Cattedrale and Porta Nuova, and enjoy a nice dinner.

And either climb to the roof of the Cattedrale or Chiesa del SS. Salvatore, and enjoy the views and be grateful for such glorious experiences in such limited time.

Vagabonda

1 post
4. Re: Advice needed with public transport

How long does it take with a train from Tropea to Taormina?

We are staying in Taormina in July and would like to visit Tropea for a day. Would that be possible?

Jasna

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,816 posts
5. Re: Advice needed with public transport

A day trip from Taormina to Tropea is unrealistic as it's 4,5-6 hours on the train in each direction.

https://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

Vagabonda

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
6. Re: Advice needed with public transport

Thank you. We booked our tickets a while ago and I have separate tickets from Lamezia to Messina then Messina to Taormina-Giardini. One the intercity 35637 and the other the intercity 721. Different coaches and different seats. Do we get off the first train on the ferry. Have a stroll and enjoy the views the views them return to the second train and new seats whilst still on the ferry or do we get off the ferry and walk to the station. The trains are the same if we had booked the whole journey. We had contemplated having an evening in Messina, hence the break but have now decided otherwise.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,816 posts
7. Re: Advice needed with public transport

You could have booked straight-through to Taormina, but if you intended a night in Messina, then it's understandable why you didn't, but what about schedules on your ticket?

You can disembark the train on the ferry, enjoy the views on deck, use the bathroom, and get some food or drinks.

Get back on the train, and you should be fine.

But for sure, ask the conductor.

Vagabond

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
8. Re: Advice needed with public transport

Thank you. The schedule, I think, is the same as I looked online and if I’d booked the full journey, it’d be the same trains and time. I can only assume we’re just moving carriages but I will ask a conductor for advice. Is English widely spoken. My knowledge of Italian is rather basic. (“A beer and a glass of wine please”is about my limit 😆

Reply to: Advice needed with public transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted