We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Astoria vs. Hotel Villa Schuler vs Villa Angela

New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Villa Astoria vs. Hotel Villa Schuler vs Villa Angela

We require two rooms this trip and I'm trying to determine if it's worth the higher expense (almost double) of the Hotel Villa Schuler or the Hotel Villa Angela(a bit more), rather than the Villa Astoria, the 8 room smaller hotel.

The location of the Astoria appears to be a 5-10 minute walk uphill to the main part of town?

The Schuler appears closer to Corso Umberto, but at the opposite end of town. Villa Angela appears to above town and possibly a longer walk uphill from town than the Astoria. Although there may be a shuttle, I think i'd rather be in a location where it isn't necessary. Although we are fit and able, not sure how far or steep this is actually?

So.. 1.. is there a huge difference in accommodation. and 2... location is there a downside to either end of town? Is Schuler that much more convenient?

TIA ..any suggestions appreciated

Hotel Villa Ducale
Hotel Villa Ducale
#1 of 90 hotels in Taormina
Hotel Villa Carlotta
Hotel Villa Carlotta
#2 of 90 hotels in Taormina
Hotel Villa Belvedere
Hotel Villa Belvedere
#3 of 90 hotels in Taormina
5 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
112,354 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Astoria vs. Hotel Villa Schuler vs Villa Angela

Welcome to Sicily dosu!

First decide location, and then consider the hotel.

Villa Astoria is located on via Luigi Pirandello (busy street), less than 10 minutes from Porta Messina. Consider that Villa Astoria is more a B&B than a hotel.

Villa Schuler is located central to town, and just below Corso Umberto. Steps from the hotel lead directly to the centre of Corso Umberto. Villa Schuler is really lovely, a peaceful garden, and with terraces and views of the sea and Etna. It so central, but such a retreat.

Villa Angels is located the furthest from the town centre, and on the road to Castelmola above town. Although there's a shuttle, it's a paid shuttle. Interbus also stops outside the hotel for town, but obviously if you'd like to stay in town, then this option is your least convenient.

Vagabonda

New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Astoria vs. Hotel Villa Schuler vs Villa Angela

Thank you so much, Vagabonda,

While trying to make a reservation at Hotel Villa Schuler, the rooms increased in price( which I found odd). I have a request in to them to see if they will honor the price listed while I was booking. I've not seen this happen before. The room type was the same.. perhaps as they get closer they raise the rates?Whatever reason, the higher price will put it out of the running.

The Villa Astoria... I don't think they have an elevator.. and I believe the Sup Seaview rooms may be on the top floor...If they have elevator I may book.

The Villa Angela I think is too far to walk to Corso Umberto.

Do you have any other recommendations of hotels/ b&b with good reputation, sea view and central location? I have been searching TA, any thoughts on the following.. or other recommendations?

Taodomus.. Looks good Only have 1 room left for our dates.. I will check it again

Hotel Taormina.. not sure of the views

Hotel del Corso Looks very nice. views of the sea look partial at best, but not sure. Has anyone stayed here?

TIA ...if anyone has stayed at any of these or has other suggestions

We would consider a 2 br/ 2 bath apartment, but the one's I've seen didn't appeal to me.

Edited: 24 January 2018, 23:38
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Astoria vs. Hotel Villa Schuler vs Villa Angela

Try Residence Schuler. These are apartments overlooking the sea and mt. Etna. Owner is related to,hotel,Schuler. Have stayed there several times. Excellent

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
112,354 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Astoria vs. Hotel Villa Schuler vs Villa Angela

Hi dosu,

Yes, Villa Angela is too far to consistently walk to Corso Umberto every day.

Taodomus is excellent, and located directly on Corso Umberto near Porta Cantania.

But if also interested in self-catering, then take a look at Villa Costanza Bellavista, and book quickly!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g18…

Residence Schuler is also lovely for self-catering.

Vagabonda

New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Astoria vs. Hotel Villa Schuler vs Villa Angela

Thank you, rmcparis. I'm checking availability on Residence Schuler. They have four 2-bedroom/2 bath apartments that look good.

Thanks, Vagabonda. Bellavista does have one apartment that is 2 baths, I will look into.

Thanks so much

Reply to: Villa Astoria vs. Hotel Villa Schuler vs Villa Angela
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted