We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taormina day trips

Norfolk
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Taormina day trips

Can anyone suggest some day trips from Taormina using public transport. Thank you in advance.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,168 posts
1. Re: Taormina day trips

Yes, you can easily take Interbus to nearby Castelmola, Gardini, or Gole Alcantara.

You could take the train or Interbus to Catania or Messina.

Via Catania, you can continue onward to Siracusa, Noto, Piazza Armerina....

You could take the train to Santa Teresa di Riva and then the Jonica bus to Savoca.

Where would you like to go?

Vagabonda

Norfolk
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
2. Re: Taormina day trips

Thank you for your suggestions! Hopefully we will try some of the things you mentioned. We are staying at the Hotel Bel Soggiorno in Taormina with Thomsons, but as far as possible we like to be independent. We especially like boat trips and the research I have done tells me there are trips going from Taomina.

One place we would like to see is the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento. Would this be possible from our base using public transport.

Our hotel is on a B&B basis. Do you have any tips on reasonably priced restaurants in Taormina. Thank you!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,168 posts
3. Re: Taormina day trips

Prego tegansgran,

Yes, although the boats don't depart directly from Taormina, there are excursions that depart from Taormina. Boat day trips are long days with late returns, so excursions are best since transport is included and public transport wouldn't run sufficiently late for your return to Taormina.

The same is true for Agrigento's Valley of the Temples - You would appreciate the excursions, not only for the convenience of transport, but many excursions to Agrigento also include a stop at Piazza Armerina's Villa Romana del Casale.

But if you were to visit Agrugento on your own from Taormina, you would take Interbus to Catania's airport, and then take the SAIS Trasporti bus from the airport to Agrigento, where you would connect to Agrigento's local bus from Agrigento's bus station out to the Valley of the Temples.

There are many good-value dining opportunities in Taormina - Typical local cuisine can be found in Taormina at Osteria Da Rita Di Bille' Sas, Rosso Peperoncino, Arco Rosso, Al Melograno, Trattoria Don Camillo, da Cristina Panificio (take-out, pizza, arancini, foccacia…), as well as Il Barcaiolo in Mazzarò, Al Saraceno between Taormina and Castelmola, and Gallo Cedrone in Castelmola.

Cost of eating out in Taormina:

tripadvisor.com/…39813580

Best regards,

Vagabonda

Edited: 18 August 2013, 20:13
Hamilton, New Jersey
2 posts
1 review
4. Re: Taormina day trips

My wife and I were in Taormina July 8th to July 12th, 2013. We were on a tour- Andiamo Sicilian Heritage Experience. I highly recommend Andiamo! They guarantee that your tour will go on whether you have two people or twenty five.

Josephina Calderone, our tour director, was exceptional. For most of the tour it was just my wife and I. Each day's excursion included a culinary experience.

We took many excursions from Taormina with her. You do not have to be on the whole tour to join individual parts of the tour. We toured Syracuse, Ortygia Island, the Roman Villa of Casale from Taormina. Andiamo also arranged our tour of Mt. Etna. We then went on to Palermo with them.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,168 posts
5. Re: Taormina day trips

Thank you so very much for your report rhowland!

Could you please provide a link and would you consider submitting a review for Andiamo?

Go to the Help Center and enter: add new listing

http://www.tripadvisor.com/help

Thank you!

Vagabonda

Norfolk
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
6. Re: Taormina day trips

Vagabonda and Rhowland, many thanks for a quick response! We will make sure we take your suggestions with us. This is our first time to Sicily and we always like to find out a little bit about the area prior to visiting. This site and your input is invaluable to travellers everywhere. Many thanks.

Level Contributor
68 posts
80 reviews
7. Re: Taormina day trips

Has anyone used Viator Tours from Taormina?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,168 posts
8. Re: Taormina day trips

Viator runs tours everywhere!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k65343…

Vagabonda

Belper, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: Taormina day trips

We took the SAT Etna sunset tour yesterday. Apart from some free time on arriving at the lower reaches which seemed unnecessary, this was a superb trip. You need good footwear and extra jumpers coats etc as the temperature drop with the wind chill factor makes it very cold. It's a vast area and it was an amazing trip. The optional meal was better than we expected - we had really good pizzas and house red wine.

Belper, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Taormina day trips

This was a great trip booked from Capotaormina hotel