We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions/Itinerary for Tuscany

Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions/Itinerary for Tuscany

We are planning a three week trip to Italy in September. We are thinking that we would like to spend 3 to 4 nights in the Tuscany area as others have highly recommended it. Although we will be traveling by train, we thought about renting a car in Siena for the Tuscany area. I am just trying to figure this part of the trip out and would appreciate any suggestions/itineraries/cities to stay in.... We would like to spend some of the time in Siena, Assisi, Orvieto and Montepulciano also. When looking at a map, I guess some of that is in the Umbria area. Another thought would be to rent the car in Siena, see some of Tuscany with the car and then after returning car, take train to Assis and then to Orvieto. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Assisi
Assisi
Province of Perugia, Italy
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,248 Reviews
from US$104.80*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,347 Reviews
from US$104.80*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
765 Reviews
from US$104.80*
12 replies to this topic
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,692 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions/Itinerary for Tuscany

If you are going to use a car for the towns in Tuscany, then also use it for those other towns in Umbria. They are close by and the car can be dropped off at an alternate location in Italy without charge.

Have a look at www.autoeurope.com for details.

Mentioned in this post
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
2. Re: Suggestions/Itinerary for Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 April 2018, 23:06

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,394 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions/Itinerary for Tuscany

The driver should be aware of Italian driving laws, ZTL's, bus lanes, parking, signage, etc.:

https:/…Driving.In.Italy.html

http://driventoit.blogspot.com.au/

aci.it/laci/driving-in-italy/driving-in-ital…

www.viamichelin.com for an idea of time/distance/costs.

GPS will not show ZTL's or cameras.

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions/Itinerary for Tuscany

udyk580

I don't think you have any idea how much there is to see and do in Tuscany/Umbria -- and how long it will take to do all the traveling you are planning on doing.

You say "three to four nights" -- which means how many days -- two? -- five?

If you plan to visit Siena, "Assisi, Orvieto and Montepulciano also" in that time, you are going to spend a whole lot of time driving and not a whole lot of time seeing anything in Siena, Assisi, Orvieto, etc.

Do some reading about the places you are planning on seeing. Siena is easily worth an entire day. Assisi is always jam-packed with tourists, and seeing anything in the upper and lower parts of the church will take the better part of a day.

Study road maps. Figure that except when you're driving on the Autostrade, you will be very lucky to average 60 KM per hour, and going to Montepuciano and Assisi involves a good deal of driving on smaller roads.

I think your plans will lead to exhaustion and frustration. Travel less, see more.

Mentioned in this post
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Assisi
Assisi
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Albion, New York
Level Contributor
933 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions/Itinerary for Tuscany

>>Travel less, see more. <<

Sage advice for any traveler.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions/Itinerary for Tuscany

How did Tuscany get to three days from a three week trip to Italy? Decide what you want to see and plan accordingly. You will be better of with a car and staying put a week doing day trips.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions/Itinerary for Tuscany

Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear as I am thinking of Tuscany as the vineyards. We will be staying in Florence for 4 nights, doing a day trip to Pisa/Lucca and a day trip to San Gimignano. Originally, we were just going to spend a day in Siena (possibly as a day trip from Florence) and a day in Assisi and possibly a day in Orvieto and Bagnoregio/Civita, hopefully getting to each in the morning and staying a night in each. A friend had mentioned that she was told that the drive around Tuscany is beautiful. I have read about Montelpuciano, Montalcino, and Pienza. So I am now thinking about maybe staying in Siena for two nights and possibly taking the bus to Montelpuciano on one day or renting a car for a day and driving to Montelpuciano and adding one or both of the other two places. We would then continue on to Assis and Orvieto by train. If we rented a car for a day, would it be possible to visit all 3 places, if not, suggestions. I am open to any suggestions regarding my other plans too or what you may think would be a good itinerary for that area. We just would like to get a flavor of the area, with the hope of returning another time. We have not booked a flight yet so I am able to play around with the days and add if I need too. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Assisi
Assisi
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Montalcino
Montalcino
Province of Siena, Italy
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions/Itinerary for Tuscany

You really cannot do three towns in one day if that is what you are thinking. I would choose a base in Tuscany and try to travel by car to some others. I am not sure why you are thinking of renting a car for just one day and then doing other towns by train. I might be misunderstanding something in your post.

Mentioned in this post
Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions/Itinerary for Tuscany

We are traveling for three weeks through Italy by train. Per recommendation, we thought we would drive through the countryside and visit a couple of small villages. Originally we were not planning on renting a car, and still not sure after response after first message. Since I have never been to Italy, we are jjust trying to get a little flavor of each area, just Looking for some suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions/Itinerary for Tuscany

Four or five days in Tuscany can do many good things for your knowledge of this province. Do not try to see three towns in one day. You will be short changing yourselves and the country. The places you mention certainly deserve to be on your list of places to see. But read about them first. Match up your personal travel goals with the attractions that each place offers you as reasons for you to see them. If you drive a rental car read the rental contract carefully and ask questions. Share the driving duties with another qualified person for safety, convenience and cost reduction and flexibility in planning day-to-day segments of your vacation there. Learn about regulations for driving and parking the car. Bring all proper documentation with insurance and the international driver's permit as response # 3 explains. Previous responses have good advice with much to think about. What you do not see this time will be there next time. Do not allow a half day visit someplace to develop into a whole day expedition. Time management will be important. Itemize and identify your priorities and group them according to location and proximity. Three or four days will introduce you to many parts of the province but do not try to see too much as if it were in an automatic car wash. Choose what appeals to you and research the areas. Blue Guide for Italy is a good source of information. Personal tastes determine the choices you make. The places you mention deserve a visit if you want to go there. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Reply to: Suggestions/Itinerary for Tuscany
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted