We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Rome Airport?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
983 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Rome Airport?

I'm just starting to plan a trip to Italy and would appreciate knowing if it would work to take a bullet train from Florence to the Rome airport. Our flight would depart to the US around noon. Is there an early train that would work....or does everyone stay overnight in Rome the night before departure? Thanks for your help!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Rome Airport?

You have to go to Rome Termini first and then take a different train to FCO

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37,600 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Rome Airport?

I always spend the night in the city from which I'm flying out the next day; too many possible variables - delayed train, bad weather that might cause a delay, etc.

For an international flight at noon, you would need to be there 3 hours before so that is 9 a.m. There is no bullet train directly from Florence to the Rome airport. You would need to go from Florence to the Rome Termini train station then take the Leonardo Express which runs every 30 minutes direct to FCO.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
983 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Rome Airport?

Thank you. I thought that would probably be the best thing. So, we'll plan on spending the last night back in Rome.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Rome Airport?

Daisy, having taken the "Leonardo Express" train to and from FCO more than once, I don't think it's the best way to get to or from from central Rome. I would take a van service, which is as cheap as the train, or cheaper, is less of an ordeal, and will take you to or from your exact lodgings.

I would even take a taxi, instead of that train, for a party of two or more people. Most inexpensive hotels in Rome will book you a van or a car to FCO at a fixed and reasonable price.

-- Steve

Edited: 13 January 2011, 01:30
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
24,874 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Rome Airport?

There is a fixed price for a taxi Rome centre to FCO, including luggage, of €40 though if your hotel calls the taxi there will probably be a small call out charge. Or you can arrange directly with www.romecabs.com who will turn up at your hotel with guaranteed reliability and transport you for about €45 depending on the time of day.

On the other hand, if you stay at a hotel very close to termini the Leonardo Express will deposit you right into the terminals at a cost of €14 per head.

Check out To and From FCO under "top questions" top right of the Rome forum.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
983 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Rome Airport?

Thank you! We'll plan on the last night in Rome. I'm going to be really leaning on you for more advice. It is my husband's wish to spend his 60th birthday in Italy. He's never been to Italy and he's the greatest husband in the world. So, I'm really going to try to make this a trip he'll always remember.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to Rome Airport?

I didn't mention exactly what bothered me about the Leonardo Express. The trains they use involve hauling luggage up and down several steep steps to the carriage - like a local train in the countrysisde. It's not like one would just step onto the metro as at London or Paris. Then there's the problem of walking from the station entrance in Rome to the nearest taxi stand - more than 300 meters.

We're about the same age as your husband - early sixties. At one time, we were backpackers, and could easily take the train, but now we can afford to take a taxi directly to and from our hotel in Rome. That's what we do here in New York.

For our trip in June, we're flying in and out of Rome -- going to Termini and taking a train to Florence on the same day. Later, we'll fly back from Rome, after a few days in Rome. That's because of the airfare, which is hundreds of dollars less than any other way we've found.

-- Steve

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
11,528 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to Rome Airport?

While there is no direct train from Florence to Rome airport, there are two daily direct, high speed trains from Florence to Milan's Malpensa airport (with one leaving at 7.00 and arriving at 9.38, i.e. in time for most US-bound flights).

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
983 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to Rome Airport?

Steve, thanks! I checked the airfare and it is much less expensive to fly in and out of Rome. I'm seeing the logic in you taking the train to Florence first and then ending up in Rome. You're making me rethink our plans! Thank you.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
983 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train to Rome Airport?

Thank you. The non stop flights for us would be Rome or Venice. Since I truly hate to fly, I try only to take non stop. (It is easier on my husband's arm, which tend to get squeezed hard).