We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestion about Firenze

Lyon, France
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
suggestion about Firenze

What about Firenze and its environment? Is it a safety town? I have never been in Firenze and I would like to visit it, can you please suggest me some hotels and restaurants? Thank you!

Cheers, Carla.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,599 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestion about Firenze

Florence is very safe. Anywhere in the historic centre is fine to stay in and all the main sights are walkable.

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestion about Firenze

Florence is a safe and compact city. It is also well policed, both in uniform and undercover. The area around the train station offers lots of budget and moderately priced hotels but you can also find gems on the other side of the river in the Oltrano district.

To find a good restaurant, go for one where you can hear Italian being spoken by the diners. Avoid restaurants that ring the main tourist areas because they are usually tourist traps. Visit a supermarket or grocery store to buy low cost items for a lovely picnic lunch by the river or in the Boboli Gardens.... Have confidence! You can wander Florence freely without fear and I am sure you will make your own wonderful discoveries.

Francoise

Excusemewhereis.blogspot.com

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,443 posts
5,654 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestion about Firenze

For very good supermarket food you can visit Pegna in the city centre and Mercato Centrale on the north side of the city centre, some superb cheese, salami, olives, etc and of course wine found in these locations for picnic or even just to enjoy in your hotel room. Here are reviews (w/pictures) for both.

Pegna

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Mercato Centrale

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Also forwarding your our Top Ten Florence list (just personal favorites) which might be helpful in your trip planning.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i28558-Florence…

Have a great time in Florence.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,005 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestion about Firenze

Florence is generally safe. Do watch for your belongings as petty theft does happen.

Avoid the restaurants offering a tourist menu.

Lyon, France
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestion about Firenze

Thank you very much for your replies!

Lewisburg...
Level Contributor
63 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestion about Firenze

Last night in Florence... :( sad to be leaving. We have felt very safe the entire time. Just be smart. We did a Slow Day in Tuscany today and it was marvelous. Went to a small family winery in between Florence and Sienna.

We are staying at Antica Dimora Firenze. Its a beautiful bed and breakfast. Very cozy, quiet area at night. We ate at 2 strongly recommended restaurants 1. Vino e Vecchi Sapori. 2. Osteria Pepo. Keep in mind that many restaurants require reservations.

Have fun!

7. Re: suggestion about Firenze

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:15