We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taking the bus

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
taking the bus

We'll be in Florence at the end of the week and I want to make sure I understand the bus system. I think we might take the bus to Piazalle Michelangelo. I read here that we need to take the number 12 bus there and the number 13 bus back. I looked at the ATAF website and printed out the bus routes.

Where do we purchase the bus tickets? Do we get them punched when we get on the bus?

The timetables on the ATAF website show the times for weekdays and Saturday. Do the buses run on Sunday?

Thanks in advance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22,695 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taking the bus

you get them at a Tabak -- and you can get a single card with several rides on it -- the Carte Agile which makes each bus ride 1 Euro. you sort of wave it at the reader and be careful not to wave it twice or you burn up two rides (the machine makes a sound when it 'takes') they are read electronically. The carte Agile has 10 rides on it and it can be used by more than one person so long as it is passed over the reader for each user.

there is stepped up ticket checking so be sure you have a validated ticket and that you have not exceeded the 90 minute limit

the 12 and 13 go to Piazzale MIchelangelo in opposite directions so you can always get back regardless of which one you get on. I like to ride up and then walk back down -- it is not far -- nice stroll. and then walk across the Ponte Vecchio.

Be sure to go to the stunning little church San Miniato up the hill behind Piazzale MIchelangelo --

Edited: 11 June 2012, 19:43
Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taking the bus

This is our first time in Florence so forgive me for silly questions. What's a Tabak and where are they located? The tickets are only good for 90 minutes? Is the Carte Agile good for longer? We're staying near the Santa Trinita bridge.

Thanks for the suggestion for San Miniato. We will check it out.

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taking the bus

Ok, I think I am getting it now. A tabak is a tobacco store (look for the T). Does the 90 minutes start from the time you get on the bus then, not when you buy the ticket?

It looks like the number 12 bus route has the closest stop to the Santa Trinita bridge.

Uk
Level Contributor
39 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taking the bus

The 90 minutes starts from when you swipe your ticket on the bus.

You can also buy the Carte Agile from the tourist information office near the station and you don't need one per person, you just swipe it once for each member of your party ie. two people, swipe it twice. You can get on another bus within the 90 minutes and you don't need to swipe it again until the first 90 minutes are up. If you're walking back down it's a nice route through the rose garden, you enter at the top gate and exit at the bottom so no need to double back. The roses were lovely at the start of May when we were there, but i'm not sure what it'll be like now.

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taking the bus

The gardens sound nice. Is there a name for them that I should look for? We may end up walking back down, depending on what time of day we go.

Thanks!

Uk
Level Contributor
39 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taking the bus

We only found them this year after several visits to Florence, they're not well signposted from the top! They are called The Rose Gardens, and to find them you go to the left side of Piazale Michelangelo towards the view of the Ponte Vechio. There's a ramp leading down from the corner, which bends round to the left half way down towards another viewing area. Follow the path round to the left of the viewing area towards the steps and look to your right. The top entrance to the Rose Garden should be just the other side of the road below you. Hope that makes sense!

Enjoy your trip, we'll be back there next May :-)

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taking the bus

Thanks for all the advise and suggestions. I think we're going to try to get up there when they have the vespers at San Miniato. Hopefully we'll find the rose gardens too.

We're off to Florence tomorrow!

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taking the bus

AsTheCrowFly

I will be very interested to hear how you get on , am planning to do the same when I have a one day visit to Florence in September. Have been following this Thread with interest !

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taking the bus

Hi all - just wanted to say thank you for the helpful suggestions! We just got back from Florence and it was just such an amazing, beautiful place. Love2Roam, since you asked how it went, I thought I'd post a quick report of our experience.

We ended up not taking the bus but took a cab instead. There was some kind of heat wave going on in Florence and it was 93 degrees on Sunday. We didn't want to wipe ourselves out before we even got to the top so we didn't try to walk it. Our hotel called a cab for us and it was there in 2 minutes. It cost 15 euros, which when we split it 3 ways wasn't too bad.

The cab driver took us straight to San Miniato al Monte. Since it was Sunday morning, there was a service going on and we were able to stand in the back and listen to a prayer and singing. If you want to go into the church, be sure to have your shoulders and knees covered. They were turning a lot of people away because they didn't have the appropriate clothes. The cemetery and the view of the city below the church are beautiful.

After exploring Piazalle Michelangelo, we walked back into town. We did find the rose garden, mostly be accident. My sister spotted the sign as we walked back down. The roses were still in bloom. So glad that hfbs told us about it or we would have missed it.

However you get there (walk, bus, cab), don't miss this part of Florence!

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: taking the bus

Thanks for your quick response. Glad you enjoyed Florence I will certainly be taking the bus coming from the Boboli Gardens direction. I hope it will not be quite so hot in Sepember!