We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siena on a Sunday in July

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
68 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Siena on a Sunday in July

The best day for us to visit Siena from Florence is a Sunday. I looked at the bus schedule and see that there are significantly less buses on Sunday. Should we buy our bus tickets the day before to make sure. we get seats?

I realize that the Duomo opens at 1:30 but it looks like the Duomo museum, crypt and baptistery open at the usual times of between 9 and 8:30. It looks like the church of San Domenico opens at 9am on Sunday according to Rick Steves. Is this true?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siena on a Sunday in July

Buying a bus ticket does not ensure that you get a seat. The tickets can be used on any bus.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,952 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siena on a Sunday in July

Church opening times on Sundays are often dictated by Mass timings so it would make sense that Il Duomo isn't open until 1.30 as the 11.00 which is held on the high altar is always busy and goes on until around 12.30 or so. The museums, of course, are different hence the earlier timings. I'm not sure where Mass is held at San Domenico but obviously it doesn't impact visitors.

siena
Level Contributor
314 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siena on a Sunday in July

you can find the church opening and service times here. www.comune.siena.it/main.asp?id=3541&l=en

4. Re: Siena on a Sunday in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 21:42