We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worship and hiking

Oak Park, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Worship and hiking

We have seen the major religious sites already. We arrive today at 4:21 and stay until Sunday at 6pm. I would like to watch the sunset and sunrise--any recommendations from where? Would also like recomendations for a few hikes and meaningful prayer/worship/ mass services. Thank you in advance.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worship and hiking

I imagine that sunrise and/or sunset from the Rocca Maggiore would be pretty spectacular if the weather's clear. Here's what that view looks like during an overcast day:

https://flic.kr/p/uErXco

There are also great sunset views from the Ristorante Metastasio on their terrace. Here's what that looks like:

https://flic.kr/p/uC2ZuD

Edited: 26 June 2015, 19:07
Mentioned in this post
Rocca Maggiore
Rocca Maggiore
912 Reviews
Assisi, Italy
Ristorante Metastasio
Ristorante Metastasio
536 Reviews
Assisi, Italy
Oak Park, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Worship and hiking

Thank you

Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worship and hiking

Great photo's thank you Michael

Level Contributor
2,543 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Worship and hiking

Have you already been in Eremo delle Carceri, San Damiano and Porziuncola in Santa Maria degli Angeli? A part the porziuncola, I have the impression the other places are not that known, so I'm asking

If you have a rent car, consider an hike around the marvellous monastery of La Verna. It's one hour and half by car from Assisi? and very important to know better Saint Francis.

I would also reccomend to hear the experiences of the nouns of the order of sainte Claire. You can ask the convent if they do have a noun able to speak english: the convents are in Assisi or in the close Foligno (if I'm not wrong, at the monastery of San Martino). These nouns don't go out from the convent, but they can receive and talk with people.

The same for franciscan friars: try to ask to Frati Minori of Santa Maria degli Angeli for a guided tour by them around Assisi. To learn about the life of Francis by a man who has decided to try to follow his life example is another experience!

Edited: 15 July 2015, 07:23
Mentioned in this post
Eremo delle Carceri
Eremo delle Carceri
1,904 Reviews
Assisi, Italy
San Damiano
San Damiano
1,056 Reviews
Assisi, Italy
Assisi
Assisi
Province of Perugia, Italy
Foligno
Foligno
Minori
Minori
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Pine Island, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worship and hiking

This may be late fo you but I'll post for others checking out this thread becaue Eremo delle Carceri provides both a place to worship and hike. This tranquil spot remains one of my favorite places to visit in Umbria (and that's saying ALOT!). My first visit was in 2005, followed by 2007, 2010 and most recently in July 2015. Nothing has changed, nor is it likely to. The atmostphere is peaceful and tranquil and the 7 Franciscan brothers and 3 nuns who call this sancutary home are friendly, welcoming and eager to talk with visitors. I speak Italian so this was no problem. At least one of the brothers, Andrea, speaks English too. Mass is held in the small chapel built into the hillside. There a massive rock outcrop in one of the walls. The courtyard provides a wonderful view of the valley as well as the surrounding, welcoming and shady forest. A great place to escape the heat in Assisi and S.M.A. If you happen to be visiting in autumn, go in the very early morning to catch the misty fog. It's magical! Avoid the exhausting hike up to Eremo and call my favorite taxi driver, Luciano Trinoli (also a well known, local musician), 39 366 399 1221. Tell him I refered you and I'm sure he'll treat you with extra special care. There is no place on TripAdvisor to review cabbies or I'd write him a 5 star review. He is very knowledgeable and friendly. He went out of his way to help me when I needed assistance (because I was a female traveling alone) and he and his wife are now considered good friends.

Depending on whether you plan on attending services or not, I would allow for an hour to just wander around the small chapels and grottos whre San Francesco and his fellow Brothers prayed and slept. The trails in the forests offer sculptures, benches for quiet meditation but no picnics are allowed on the grounds. If you wish to picnic there are tables at the trailhead leading back to Assisi.

If you want a beautiful hike down the mountain you must exit Eremo and head UPHILL a bit first to the trailhead by a small picnic area. It is only about 4K down to Assis and the views are well worth it. Grab a coffee and sandwitch at the small booth outside the front gate. Francesco has a couple of tables set up near the taxi drop off and his wife also offer lodging at their Bed & Breakfast down the hill. He is a very friendly, chatty fellow. Not sure if he speaks any languages other than Italian though.

If you are at all interested in the life of San Francesco or are just looking for a break from the crowds then Eremo delle Carceri is not to be missed.

Mentioned in this post
Eremo delle Carceri
Eremo delle Carceri
1,904 Reviews
Assisi, Italy
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Assisi
Assisi
Hotel San Francesco
Hotel San Francesco
309 Reviews
Assisi, Italy
6. Re: Worship and hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2016, 02:18